Is there a Samsung TV code that will ONLY control power (and not volume)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by timblaktu, Nov 29, 2018.

1. timblaktu

timblaktu New Member

Mar 18, 2016
    I use my TiVo bolt with a Samsung TV and an LG soundbar. I like to keep the TV volume off and the soundbar produces all sound.

I have paired the TiVo remote so that its volume and mute buttons control the soundbar fine, and Samsung codes to control power, but the tivo remote volume buttons also control the TV volume when I'd like to keep the tv silent.

Id like to use the TiVo remote to power on/off my Samsung TV but NOT have it also affect the TV volume.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    How do you connect TV and sound bar? If you use optical cable, you can turn off the TV speakers in its menu.

If you use the same soundbar code with Power+Tivo sequence, Pressing Power will turn on and off both the Tv and sound bar.

ke3ju likes this.
  3. bjheels

bjheels Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Grapevine, TX
    I have a Samsung TV and Yamaha soundbar. I used Set TV Power, Volume, and Mute first with a Samsung code. Then I used Set A/V Volume and Mute for the Yamana. My remote only changes volume on the soundbar and not the TV.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If the TiVo Remote Volume Buttons are controlling volume on 2 different devices simultaneously, it must be CEC, but that still doesn't make sense...

-KP

5. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    In the settings for remote control setup there are separate options for “Tv power,volume, and mute” and also for “Set A/V volume and mute”.
    Once you have the codes set for the tv, then go into the A/V settings and set the code for the brand of sound bar you are using. That will then make the remote work the sound bar volume.

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Three ideas for you.

First, your Samsung TV should have a setup option to totally disable the TV volume so that it will be impossible for the TiVo remote to change it, no matter how the remote is set up.

Second, if your TiVo is using the nasty TE4 software, make sure CEC is disabled - I am not sure how that affects the volume, but no reason to introduce unknown problems. You can play with that later once you solve this problem.

Third, follow the TiVo instructions to set up your remote IN ORDER. If done right, the TiVo remote will not change the volume of the TV after you have entered the code for your receiver/soundbar in the last step.

One final thought involves the connections between your TiVo, TV, and the soundbar. I know nothing about either your specific TV or the soundbar, but I do know that HDMI sends audio along with video. How you connect your soundbar to the TV is a big unknown here. On my old hardware, there is no HDMI connection to my receiver, but the TiVo audio is sent to the TV via HDMI, and then my Samsung TV is set to not use internal speakers, but send the audio from the TV to my old receiver via optical cable. This works just fine for me, and my TiVo remote only controls the Yamaha receiver sound.

Update: One more thought - HDMI also supports ARC (Audio Return Channel), where the TV can send audio signals BACK OUT on the same connection, so depending on how your system is connected this, too, could be introducing some unknown issues. Samsung TVs tend to have only a single HDMI port that also supports ARC, so you probably need to figure out which one that is, and if you want to use it or not.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  7. timblaktu

timblaktu New Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Thank you nortnarg and bjheels, that was my problem - I just needed to "Set AV volume and mute". It works as expected now.