Is there a limit on the # of times one can burn a show?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by TiVoEvan74, Jun 16, 2010.

1. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004

Advertisements

If I record several episodes of a show on 1 DVD, can I then record them again on another?

Here's the reason for the question and the background detail for the scientific methodologists among you.

We have been running into probs burning shows onto a no-brand name set of DVD-RWs. When that happens, however, one doesn't know if it's the disk or if the copy flag that's been set on a show.

We dug up a brand name disk and were able to burn 3 NCIS episodes. That suggested to us that the shows were recordable; no DRM, copy protection flag set.

So, we then tried a non-brand name disk again; no luck. Tried another. Rebooted the Tivo in case that mattered. Tried again. The dreaded Saving Failed came up.

Went out and bought set of brand name DVD-RWs, still no luck on burning the NCIS shows.

Took the very brand-name disk that had failed and put it in our other Tivo DVD burning unit and it recorded 3 movies fine.

We also were able to burn a NOVA on the 1st Tivo with one of our old brand name disks.

So, we're down to the hypothesis that it's a string of lousy non-brand name disks-- or that Tivos only permit 1 recording of a show. (If that's the case, it should tell us that rather than trying to burn and then failing.)

I suspect, after all this, that it's the cheap DVD-RWs that are the problem, but then why didn't the brand name one record the NCIS episodes?

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Try burning these three movies again to the same brand of disk.

3. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Ah, under the assumption that it records idiosyncratically!

Should try it.

4. jgaermom

jgaermom Member

Oct 22, 2005
    If it is a humax it is real sensitive to what disc you use. Also over time the burner is more and more sensitive. if it gives that error real frequently you might try replacing the burner. I love my humax but sometimes it is very picky. judy

5. sender_name

sender_name I remember XM 202!

Feb 11, 2005
    Northboro Ma

Advertisements

you can usually get the 'expensive' brand name ones on newegg or what not
    I LOVE the maxell discs...
    Click
    [​IMG]

this site may be of use to you. They pour through writable media and rank them by quality
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

6. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Unless something has changed recently, you can only use DVD-R media in the TiVos with DVD burners. The DVD+R media will not work. It's not a limitation of the hardware (the burner itself) but the integrated TiVo/DVD software.

Just FYI.
    robomeister

7. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Old thread I know, but in case anyone stumbles upon it--

The Tivo DVD burning units can burn to DVD-RWs as well as DVD-R.

As to the original poster's query (that's me!), I've never found a limit on the number of burns of a given show. That clearly wasn't the problem.

I think that there's a high percentage of failures in burning DVDs, no matter what the source, and that the DVD burners in the Tivos just get flakier over time.

Oddly, our no-name DVD-RWs now are the ones that are working.

What does seem to be an issue is how times you try burning to a given DVD-RW. It's supposed to be good for dozens, if not more, but we're finding a 2nd burn is leaving us with many coasters!

But this thread reminds me that I should try burning one of the failures in our Tivo DVD burning unit.