Is there a discrete code for putting a Tivo into standby?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by clarkkent333, Mar 29, 2005.

1. clarkkent333

clarkkent333 New Member

Jun 29, 2004

Advertisements

Im trying to macro my HT shutoff with my new remote and was wondering if anyone knew of a discrete code to put the unit into standby. I've got a DSR704. Thanks.

2. Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Fort...
    I've reviewed the lists of Tivo codes in the past, and don't recall seeing a discrete for standby. So the big question is, why bother putting a Tivo in standby?

3. mmascari

mmascari Member

May 16, 2002
  4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, there is, except that I haven't been able to make it work on my DTiVos for a while. Standby has a good use on DTiVos, as it stops recording the buffers.

What remote do you have?

5. Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Fort...

Advertisements

The OP asked for a discrete code. When I hear discrete code(s) for Standby I think of two different codes: One to put the device in Standby and one to take the device out of Standby. Sort of like discrete power on and off commands. I don't believe there are discrete codes for Standby. There is indeed an advanced code for Standby, 152, as documented in the link provided by mmascari; this code is a toggle of Standby on/Standby off.

6. mmascari

mmascari Member

May 16, 2002
    In a macro, you can combine TiVo and Standby to get On and Off.

TiVo Always takes you to TiVo Central, even when off.
    TiVo-Standby Will take you to TiVo Central, then enter standby.

It's not quite a discrete enter standby, exit standby. But it's much better than trying to navigate the menu in a macro.

7. Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Fort...
    Nice workaround! I hadn't thought of that one, but then again I leave my two DTivos on all the time. I have both of them sending signals to the TV in my master bedroom, so having them on all the time makes selecting them from the MBR as easy as selecting inputs on the MBR TV. I'm going to document that one in my JP1 notebook for future reference.

8. clarkkent333

clarkkent333 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm trying this on a MX-500. Its got a system off button and I can program individual macros. I could program the DTV button then down 6 times and then select but it seems like such a pain.

I keep it in standby for 2 reasons. It saves the buffer and it turns off the green light.

As far as an on button I just use the DTV as it takes me to the main screen. Since I don't need a discrete code for on I just need one to get into standby.

9. clarkkent333

clarkkent333 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Do you need a JP1 cable to use those codes in the link?

10. Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Fort...
    The codes referenced in the hifi-remote link will work with recent OneForAll remote controls. If your OFA remote takes the VCR/0618 or SAT/1142 device code then the advanced codes listed can be used, no JP1 cable required. Many folks keep an OFA remote control around just to program these codes into other universal remote controls.

Programming a OFA remote using JP1 software and cable is a good way to get more out of your OFA remote. Using JP1 you can use your PC to program your remote to do things it would not normally do out of the box. For example, you could program the device keys on the remote to contain macros that would select the appropriate inputs on your TV and AV receiver.

11. clarkkent333

clarkkent333 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    I've got a Radio Shack 15-2117. Would that work and do I need some sort of special cable? Also, could it be done without the extra remote and cable, just on my MX-500? Thanks.

12. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Yes the 2117 will work. With the VCR device programmed with code 0618 or SAT with 1142, do the following:

1. press and hold P
    2. scroll down to KEYMOVER
    3. press SELECT
    4. press VCR or SAT key
    5. tap P, do not hold
    6. enter 1-5-2
    7. press SELECT
    8. press VCR or SAT
    9. pick a key.

13. Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Fort...
    The MX-500 is a learning remote, so you can teach it most any command. If you want to use Standby in a macro, the MX-500 needs to learn it to a key first. You can use the remote that came with your tivo box, assuming this remote has a Standby button (don't they all?), or you can learn the command from the 2117 once you've assigned the Standby command to a 2117 key using Edmund's instructions. Once the MX-500 has learned a command on a key it can be used in a macro.

14. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Only the Tivo codes found in recent UEI made remotes accept advanced codes. Remotes like RS 15-2104,2103, OFA urc-8811, 8810w,and others don't accept advanced codes for tivo code VCR0618.

15. Lurker1

Lurker1 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I have used the TiVo-Standby macro to turn off TiVo for a long time. When I received the 7.1 software "upgrade", my macro stopped working. The problem turned out to be that TiVo would no longer accept the two remote codes so quickly together, so I had to add a delay between them to get the macro working again.

By the way, I use TiVo-Left macro to go to TiVo Central. Otherwise it will go to Now Playing if it happened to already be on TiVo Central.

16. Runch Machine

Runch Machine New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    152 works great but I have 4 Tivos, Two HD and two SD. They are set to remote codes 1-4. 152 is for remote code 0. How do I get 152 to work for my Tivos which are not set to remote code 0?

Using 152 turns them ALL on or off at the same time.

17. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    If you were to get a OFA urc-6820, 8820, 10820, or 6690, each has setup codes for tivo remote addresses 1-4. And all use the same advanced codes, accept you would need to add two zeroes to the FRONT of EFC, since the above remotes only tak 5 digit advanced codes. so 152 would be 00152.