Is there a diagnostics screen to trace the reason for missed recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by JamesBritt, Aug 27, 2015.

1. JamesBritt

JamesBritt Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Every so often my Roamio fails to record from the Tennis Channel.

It's the only channel that gives me this problem; never missed a recording on any other channel. But that might be due the time of day and the frequency of recording.

I have a Cox tech coming to take a look.

I can show him or her the "To Do" history where it lists missed shows due to "Not authorized" or "No signal" but that gives no other technical details (e.g. what was the actual signal level, or what messages came back from the TA when tuning was attempted).

Is there a diagnostics screen I can show the tech that might provide more details when a recording fails or is skipped because of no signal or "not authorized"?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Since you know the frequency of the Tennis channel, you might be able to find other channels on that frequency. It could be a tedious chore, but I believe there is a signal diagnostic that shows the channel & frequency. I might have that wrong, but there is a cable signal diagnostic, which if I remember, also kills all recording and buffering. If you do find the channel, I would use the To Do List, then go to the guide and make another recording at the same time. See if both fail. Or neither. It beats doing nothing. I mapped all my SD, HD and Premium channels one time to see how much sharing was being done. It made me sick.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Settings, Channels, Signal Strength - Cable, Select.

4. JamesBritt

JamesBritt Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Thank you, but this does not work for me.

I get a screen that says "Signal Strength Unavailable"

"Signal strength is unavailable because your cable channel lineup has no digital channels."

Besides, wouldn't this just be the current signal strength, not historical signal strength for past failed recordings?

It's some kind of historical data I'm interested in, in order to help sort out why recordings may have failed a few days ago, with "No signal" and "Not authorized" messages.

5. JamesBritt

JamesBritt Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Interesting. That would be a *lot* of channels for me to look at.

Still, if it sheds some light it might be worth the effort.

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I assume you have a tuning adapter, hence no signal strength per channel. My guess the problem is either the tuning adapter screwing up or a lost signal from you cable provider. Do you regularly you reboot the TA?

Btw, you can find the signal strength on the tennis channel. Just tune to it and then go to DVR diagnostics and find the channel and its signal info.

Truck roll will likely find nothing unless the channel is acting up when he gets there. Tech: "it's working fine, you need to call TiVo".

7. JamesBritt

JamesBritt Member

Sep 17, 2014
    I had been rebooting about once a month, but at times I'd have the same issue a few days after a reboot. And when it happens it seems to fix itself later in the day with no intervention.

That's what I figure. I was looking for something I might be able to point to, a log file or something.

I'm not optimistic.

8. ckeene

ckeene New Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Check the History page under Manage Recordings & OnePass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk