Is the Vox Mini Ethernet speed100 or 1000mbit?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by kujo999, Feb 24, 2018.

1. kujo999

kujo999 New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    I just set up my Vox Mini using wired Ethernet. Set up was pretty easy and seems to be working fine. It looks like it's transmitting at 100mbit. I thought it was gigabit? All my other devices are gigabit except this one. Is it gigabit or do I need to configure the Mini to transmit at that speed.
    thanks

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    On TiVo Support, they show the hardware specification for the Mini VOX as have gig Ethernet.

https://support.tivo.com/SupportPor...roduct_Information/TiVo-Mini-VOX-Product-Info

Hardware Specifications

TiVo Mini VOX has the following specifications:

Video

• HDMI out – v2.0a (2160p60)
    • 3D- (SxS/TxB)

Audio

• Digital- HDMI, TOSLINK

Networking Ports

• Wireless- N/A
    • Ethernet- 10/100/1000
    • MoCA bridge 2.0

Others

• Remote finder- Yes
    • RF remote- Yes
    Scott

kujo999 likes this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbps)
    Standard MoCA 2.0 (<400 Mbps)

How are you determining that the Mini VOX is communicating at 100 Mbps? (I'm not aware of any built-in tests that would provide such data.)

If you're just basing it on link lights, you may want to double-check your cabling to make sure all 8 wires are in play.

edit: p.s. Re: MoCA as listed in the specs...
    The Mini VOX can only connect as a MoCA client, same as previous Mini versions; it does NOT have MoCA/Ethernet bridging functionality as can be found in TiVo’s MoCA-capable DVRs.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I just checked the diagnostics screen on the switch my Mini Vox is attached to, and it indicates that port is running at 1000Mbs.

5. kujo999

kujo999 New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    I am checking the color of the LED on my router (NetgearNighthawk). If my connection is Gbit then the LED is white, if it is not Gbit it's amber. The light is currently amber. It is possible that I messed up when I made my cable yesterday, so I'll test with another Gbit device. If it's still amber it could be I messed up with a pin assignment (although I did a signal check and all seemed fine).

krkaufman likes this.
  6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Easy enough to plug the Mini VOX in at another location, as well, even at the router using a pre-fab known good cable. Don't even need a monitor if you're just checking the Ethernet port link light, just power and an Ethernet connection.

7. kujo999

kujo999 New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Good point! Thanks.

8. kujo999

kujo999 New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Verified that the NIC on the Vox Mini is indeed 1GB. I switched from a Cat 5E cable to a Cat 6 cable and some new connectors, plug it in an it was fired up at 1GB. So either my cable making skills are suspect or the quality of the Cat 6 cable is better. It could also been that since I am running the cable from the basement to the first level the cable is picking up some inteference from parallel power wiring in the walls. The good news is that when I plugged it in, it was instantly recognized as a 1GB device.

HerronScott and krkaufman like this.
  9. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    CAT5e vs CAT6 is unlikely to be the difference. My bet is on your cable making skills, either the ordering of the wires or the crimping of the connector to the wires.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You can use the netflix speed test. I'll get several hundred Mb/s with it from my Mini Vox.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018