Is the S4 (Premiere Elite) worth looking at right now ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo_Fanatic, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1 of 26
    TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I like the idea of four tuners and would like to upgrade at least one of my TiVo's but am wonering if the S4 is worth looking at right now since it was just release not to long ago.

I got some things I can possibly sell to make the cash for one but don't really want to if they're not worth looking at right now, that and there's the matter of the attached $500 price tag... and that's if you don't try and get LT on it.

Edit: FWIW, does anyone know if the S4 will accept a 3TB HDD ?

2. Dec 4, 2011 #2 of 26
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    As with all things Tivo, when a new box comes out you're paying the early adopter price. Wait a bit and it will go down to more reasonable levels, or shuck out $800 for one with lifetime now. Plus you'll give Tivo time to iron out the current bugs, like reboots for no reason, and then maybe the Preview will show up at retail and allow for a whole-house solution.

I'd wait, personally, but for me it's because I won't pay full retail for stuff like this.

3. Dec 4, 2011 #3 of 26
    TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Good points as far as price dropping goes, to bad they don't have a rebate on it but my S3 has a granfathered $6.95 a month plan I'd transfer to it if/when I get it.

LT would be a nice adition to any TiVo but the price is just wat to high.

Any way, as far as the elite goes.

1) As of right now does anyone know if it will accept a 3TB HDD ?
    2) What about PPV / VOD ? If not would a future software update possible allow this ?
    3) If I'm not mistaken, I think the XL had a bluetooth remote. Why on earth wouldn't this have been adopted in to the S4 ?
    4) Does the elite currently have a HDD space indicator like I think the XL does ? Again, as with 2, if not would a future softwate update allow this ?

Edit: As far as price droping goes, I doubt it will fall any for atleast 8 months but who knows.

Edit 2: Preview show up at retail ???

4. Dec 4, 2011 #4 of 26
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I am perfectly happy with mine. My only regret is it didn't come out the same time as the Premiere so that I could have gotten two Elites rather than the XLs.

The price isn't going to drop on the Elite for a long time and probably not until a newer version is out. Best Buy and TiVo are really the only places to buy so I don't see it happening unless Best Buy does a sale. Just wait and pick one up with the Best Buy coupon which will save you 10 or 12%. TiVo has never really dropped prices so I am not sure what slowbiscuit is talking about unless he is thinking of the Series 3. The Series 3 is a different situation since the TiVo HD was released since the average person wouldn't pay that much for a HD TiVo. They already offer a lower priced box, Premiere, so no reason to drop the price of the Elite. The Elite isn't aimed at the average user anyway, but more at the custom home theater crowd.

1. No it will currently not accept a 3TB drive. In the Premiere forums in the Elite thread there is someone who tried one.

2. VOD potentially could be added, but it would require an agreement with the cable company. I forget if it is Cox or Comcast that TiVo is currently developing VOD support for the retail Premieres.

3. The XL only had a Glo remote same as the Elite. The Slide is separate and well worth it. You can usually find it around $39.99

4. Yes, it is almost identical to the regular Premiere and Premiere XL. It just has 4 tuners and MoCA.

No word on a Preview for retail, but they could be waiting for the major update which should enable streaming. Until streaming is active no need for a Preview.

5. Dec 4, 2011 #5 of 26
    TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    1) Here's hoping for the future.
    2) What about PPV or does that kind of go hand in hand with VOD ? That said, I guess from your initial reply it's just a matter of what, software ? As for my cable rovider, I have Armstrong which is the only cable provider for where I live.
    3) I was talking about BT remotes, the ones you don't have to practically aim at the TiVo to get it to work (think PS3 BT remote control, can hide it under your bed and it still works).

Edit: I see where you said it "only had" glo's... I musta mis read something a while back because I could have sworn one of the TiVo's had BT remotes.
    4) Cool beans.

Addition:

5) Ehat BestBuy coupon ?
    6) When I mentioned preview it was more of a question as to what he was talking about, or does it have to do with the elite to elite streaming I breiefly read about ?

6. Dec 4, 2011 #6 of 26
    innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    2. Most PPV will work on any CableCARD device, you just have to call or order on the webpage. As long as the PPV comes over a physical channel you can manually tune it will work. For example the UFC PPV events on FiOS are usually on channel 701 or something like that. My friend calls in and places the order and adds the channel to his TiVo. Then he sets a recording to the PPV through the Guide.

3. The Slide remote is Bluetooth and comes with a BT USB adapter. It is the only BT remote TiVo offers and works great.

5. Best Buy routinely sends out 10% coupons to reward members which is free to sign up for. Silver members get 12% coupons. If you search here someone posted a mobile like you can use if you want to see an example, but it is expired now

6. The Preview is an extender essentially. Think of it like a HD set top box without the ability to be a DVR. It has its own tuner to see live TV, but can't record. It can view and playback recordings from any Premiere model TiVo. Currently it is only offered from RCN.

TiVo currently in retail only supports MRV which copies unprotected recordings from one TiVo to another or to a PC. MRS or streaming will allow you to play back the content on another TiVo without copying while also allow you to play back protected content remotely. This is the streaming the Elite references.

7. Dec 4, 2011 #7 of 26
    TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    3. Sweet, what I guess I thought I read before was that the TiVo had it built in or something but BT usb is just as good. Here's what I don't get, what good is the keyboard on the slide if your not searching for a show to add to a SP ? Ya I know you can use it to search netflix too but usually you just need 3-4 letters to find what you want so I just don't see the point of a full on keyboard.

6. When you say currently in retail, you mean what, pretty much anything that's not an elite since AFAIK the Elites are the only / soon to be MRS devices ?

Edit: I am a BB rewards member...

8. Dec 4, 2011 #8 of 26
    innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Currently only TiVos provided by RCN can stream and even then I think only the Q, which is the cable version of the Elite. They do this though because they offer the Q with a Preview as a package deal. I don't know if their Premieres can stream yet or not.

Any of the Premieres once streaming is enabled will be able to stream.

9. Dec 4, 2011 #9 of 26
    TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Cool, so I guess to answer my own question the Elite would be worth getting right now regardless of wether or not I have a BB RZ coupon which I don't, even though at best with my level of membership it would only be a $50 savings. Which don't get me wrong is better than nothing and the equivelant of a free slide remote.

10. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah pretty much, though the Slide remote is definitely worth it.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You can't use an internal 3TB drive but you can get a TiVo extender to increase the storage capacity by 1TB. So you get your 3TB but you also have an external drive. Personally I've never been a fan of using an external drive especially since it gets married to the internal drive.

12. ctcraig

ctcraig New Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Chandler Az
    does anyone remember how long it took for the S3 price to go down?

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I wouldn't think the price would go down anytime soon, but you never know. The Premiere is priced at $100, The Premiere XL at $300, and the Elite at $500. With discount coupons you can already get $50 to $60 off the Elite(or a free BT remote). $500 is a great hardware price for what you get.
    The S3 was priced at $800 initially and there was no Lifetime option.

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Rough estimate:
    Find the date the S3 was released, and then find the date that the TivoHD was released.
    Calculate the time between those two points, you will have your answer. :p

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I thought the S3 was still $800(although the street price was much lower) at retail when the TiVoHD was released. The TiVoHD came out Summer 2007, less than a year after the S3(OLED screen) was released. The TiVoHD was $300 retail when released. I know at one point I had five of them along with three of the S3 units.

EDIT: after some quick checking, in October 2007 the S3 box still had a retail price of $799 but could be purchased from Amazon, after rebate, for $349.
    At the same time the TiVoHD with a retail price of $299 had a street price of $253 on Amazon.

So if they were to follow a similar pattern with the Elite, it could have a price drop around a year after it's initial release. Although at $500 it is still a great price compared to prices of TiVos in the past.

16. jonbig

jonbig New Member

Sep 22, 2003
    [4. Yes, it is almost identical to the regular Premiere and Premiere XL. It just has 4 tuners and MoCA.]

You haven't mentioned a *VERY* *IMPORTANT* detail. The Elite is *cablecard* *only* and does not contain tuners for OTA broadcasts.

17. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    Wait a second. You can buy a Premiere and replace one of your grandfathered $6.95 units with the Premiere? Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. :confused:

I thought the newer units required a contract with the new pricing? Or has TiVo changed it again? UGH! I can't keep up.

18. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I have a $6.95 a month plan on my S3 which I got back when the multi discount was way cheaper. I should have worded it differently because I don't know if it will work, but with luck. When I get my S4 Elite I will hopefully be able to take the monthly $6.95 plan from my S3 and put it on my S4 Elite, again, when I get one.

19. Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003

You better check that out before you pull the trigger. I could be totally wrong, but I don't *think* they will allow you to do that.

I have two units, a TiVoHD and a series 2, both with the grandfathered $6.95/no contract plan. I was wanting to buy a new unit but was told I could not transfer the plan to a new unit.

I hope I'm wrong! I would love to buy a Premeire for our den and move the HD to the bedroom. But I don't want to give up my grandfathered plans.

20. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Well, either way I still plan on getting a S4 Elite at some point so I either bite the bullet transfer the plan and hope the price stays the same which I guess is up to the TiVo agent spoken to. Or I just use it as a third TiVo with a new plan at whatever price and keep the $6.95 on my S3 along with my LT'd S2.