Is the S2 ST sold now better than my old one?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cpals, Sep 26, 2007.

1. cpals

cpals New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    I have a S2 ST 40 GB that I bought my wife about 3 years ago and we just reactivated it a week ago. I then saw that there are deals out there where you can get a S2 ST with $30 or so cashback.

Are these 'newer' S2 ST any faster than the one I have now? I might just cancel my current plan (30 day guarantee) and purchase a new one just to get the 80GB drive.

Also, I'm only on OTA right now so the S2 DT is out of the question.

Thanks.

2. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    no, and a lot of people believe the older ones use better parts

3. cpals

cpals New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Well, I guess either way I get $30 out of the deal. :D

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    You say you're doing OTA...

I don't believe TiVo can MAKE new OTA devices any more without including a digital tuner.

I'd check to see what type of tuner(s) that Series 2 ST has.

If it has an OTA tuner, you'd be all set. If not, then AVOID IT.

5. cpals

cpals New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    I'm pretty sure the Tivo HD and Series 3 support OTA.

6. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Yes, they do, dual tuner OTA, and they do it extremely well. Certainly the amount of content is not very much this way, but it's still very effective. Of course service is still needed for device to run, be supported, and get guide data...plus TiVo2Go and MRV are noted to be coming in November.

Basically, you've got 3 input choices for the S3 and TiVOHD boxes, with two supported well.

1) Direct Attennae In - OTA - as described, dual tuner functionlity, with guide data support.

2) Cable In - with cable card support (either one mcard, or two scards)

3) Cable In - QAM only (no cable card) tuning...

Note on 3: TiVo will tune non encrypted cable channels, but TiVo doesn't provide guide data for this type of a scenario, and there is a petition for TiVo to build a guide data mapping interface to allow mapping of qam tuned channels to known basic/extended basic cable guide data elements, etc. No indication, as far as I can tell, if and when this type of functionality will ever be supported.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The are are no newer Series 2s than the one you have, that will tune OTA.
    The latest OTA capable non DVD series 2s are the 540/590 models, and they aren't particularly sharp (I wouldn't go out of my way to get one). TiVo might be distributing them as OTA neutered 542 models, if not just plain 540 models (which you likely already have).

The Series 2 DT is IMO better than the 5xx models, but can't do OTA.

The best single tuner non-DVD DVRs were the 240 models. I would consider a 540 model a downgrade.

If you all you want is larger capacity, you can upgrade the drive in the Tivo you have rather easily.

Also, if you just want to replace your TiVo, you can just change the TSN on your account, but will have to forfeit the rebate.

If you want the latest TiVo that does OTA, you want the TiVoHD.