Is the Roamio search engine as pathetic as it seems?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dougdingle, Feb 15, 2018.

1. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast

Advertisements

My wife is a big fan of the Westminster dog show every year. There are two three-hour showings on consecutive nights.

So I go searching. I try "dog show". Nothing relevant. Then I try "Westminster". Nothing relevant. Then in desperation, I try "dog". Lots of hits, none of them relevant.

So I go online, find out it's on Fox Sports 1 (FS1), go to it in my guide, and there it is - "The Westminster Dog Show", on from 5PM to 8PM PST. I can see it in the guide. There it is, in the guide. But the search engine turns up nothing.

So I generate a 'wish list' entry, because now I'm annoyed...There are no matching items in your guide for the next two weeks.

What in heck is going on? I mean, really, that's just pathetic. What is the point of even having the function if it can't find anything I'm seeing with my own eyes in the guide? Is this the new normal for Rovi?

computersteve likes this.
  2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    TiVo search went way downhill before Rovi ever got involved. They switched from an old system that was very good to a new one that is spotty at best. I honestly can't explain why things do or don't turn up in a given search.

I've found that it's far more effective to search for a cast member of a given show and then go to their credits. Of course that probably won't help with the dog show.

But this can't be blamed on Rovi. The blame for the new "improved" search algorithm falls squarely on OG TiVo.

3. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I would have agreed with that until my TiVo failed to record the new "Strike Back: Retribution" instead I missed the first three shows and had to use the "Strike Back" with the original cast members to start recording that cancelled/rebooted series again.

So, now I've got both series listed "just in case" it changes again.

4. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I just did a search on all of my TiVo's. Westminster got me the results you were looking for. I then tried a wishlist for interest, dog shows and that worked too.

Perhaps your TiVo was indexing at the time you were looking? Try it again and see what happens.

5. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

I agree, the current search function sucks bad. But changing the sort and display options on the results can make a HUGE difference on what you see.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I failed to find the dog show also. Perhaps it's because that channel isn't checked? :D

7. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    He found it in his live guide for channel. I've had that happen to me a couple of times but in each instance it was after a recent service connection and I was able to find it on another TiVo and then eventually the TiVo I couldn't find had it.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While that would usually convince me, I could set my guide to All Channels, see the dog show and select it to record. But that's a stretch. Sometimes a Search will find a program but indicate No Upcoming or Not Available even when I see it in the guide. That usually goes away after the next service connection.

Interesting. When I go back in my guide to 2/14 I see the program. It has a 3am to 6am time but also shows 0 min and 0 sec. It's a repeat too.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't know why I tried it, but I can't find Scorpion with Search. It's in my guide, 1P has it bright and it's in my To Do List. I tried classic UI and Hydra. Both were indexed today. Weird.

On the following night I can find Bull.

10. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    The last time I tried to use search was early last fall, when I looked for NFL Preseason games. It worked for that.

A search engine has to be consistent and reliable or it's worthless.

11. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    No doubt. Have you tried the search today? I'm curious if it fixed itself or do you still have a problem. If you're still having an issue then perhaps your TiVo has a bigger problem getting ready to rear up. I think there's a kick start code that might help if it's still failing to find that.

I've used my Roamio, as well as all my other platforms, and I've been successful finding it.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The initial search won't be a valid test since the dog show was over two days ago.

Try Scorpion. CBS 2/19 10pm. Fails for me.

13. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    0216181541.jpg CBS shows that Bull is in the guide for that time slot Joe. Remember, he saw Westminster in his guide but not in the search function.

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry. I see Scorpion is now found with Search. Ok, this is not a guide issue it's a Search issue. Earlier today I used Search to find Scorpion and it failed. I even put a cast member in and search failed also. As for indexing. The SI item of indexing is not related as both of my Roamio boxes were indexed at 7am this morning. Something else changed.

You can't test Search using the dog show.

I have found many times when Search fails yet I can make a 1P from the guide. Often the 1P will need adjustment after a day or two.

15. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    The search for Scorpion tonight may have failed because it's no longer in the guide. Mine (Los Angeles, Spectrum cable) shows Hawaii Five-O in that slot. It did find it next week (the 26th) in that slot, though. That was searching from a Mini, which I'm assuming uses the common guide on the Roamio.

I'd still like to find the first day's episode of the Westminster dog show, which I missed because of the search engine failing. A search today on Westminster does bring up a bunch of shows about the British Royals and their residence (which it did not when I searched yesterday), but I guess the dog show reruns are over.

I also noticed that the guide listing for the second day's dog show showed it on from 5pm to 8pm, but with a length of zero minutes. Perhaps that confuses the search engine...

16. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    For me, NY FIOS

2/17 Day1 FS2HD channel 584 at 3pm, Day2 FS2HD at 6pm. - 3hrs each episode

Closing night coverage shows 2/16 channel 632 at 8pm NGEOWILDHD - 4hrs

dougdingle likes this.
  17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Oops. I meant the 26th. I also saw that 0 hour 0 minute entry. That was common last year for football games. Bottom line: the guide/database sucks. :(

18. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    The last time Search was any good was on the Series 3. (And maybe the Premiere in SD menus? I don't know; I've never owned one.)

I remember when they released the modern search as a beta on series 3. Less good at matching things and it required talking to TiVo's servers instead of searching the Guide data locally. Sure, it lets you see things not in the upcoming 2 weeks.. but it also fails to find obvious matches like "dog show" :(

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Does it still? I haven't had any successful searches of future shows since the Rovi takeover...

20. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I remember searching for college football one Saturday afternoon to try and find out what all different channels were showing games. It found a bunch of obscure junk like football talk shows on the SEC network, but failed to mention any CBS, NBC, FOX, or ABC/ESPN broadcasts of actual games.