Is the premier XL worth the extra $ compared to the regular premier ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo_Fanatic, Sep 20, 2010.

1. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa

Advertisements

I've been considering upgrading both my S2 and my S3 OLED TiVos to Premier status around December. Anyway, I'm curious about a few things but first, here's what my current upgrade offers look like which don't seem to bad.

Series 2 DT
    [​IMG]

Series 3 OLED DT
    [​IMG]

1. I'll start with this because it's more of a weirdness thing. My S2 is a lifer while my S3 is month to month (no contract). So, why would the S3 upgrade offer mention lifetime while the S3 doesn't ? Since the S2 is already a lifer and the S3 is a monthly shouldnt the S3 upgrade offer be the one mentioning lifetime offers ?

2. Just going by the base prices to upgrade both my units to Premier I'd be looking at about $479.98 but to upgrade them both to Premier XL I'd be looking at about $799.98. So here's my question and it may be somewhat stupid just because of the HD size differences but...

Is it really worth the extra $320 to upgrade both my units to XL status when the only difference is that the XL's have THX certification and 3 times the size HD's compared to that of the regular Premiers as well as GLO remotes.

3. I'm going to assume the answer is yes to this one but it's always nice to hear it. When upgrading through TiVo's website your current plans carry over provided you don't choose any upgrade options if available right ?

4. One thing I can't seem to figure out which is sort of a big thing for me but, the remotes that come with the Premier / Premier XL don't seem to have the 1/2 switch so you can control up to to DVR's with one remote. Ok, it's possible I miised it but I went over all the pictures I found of remotes that claim to come with the Premiere's and none of them seemed to have this selector switch like my current remotes.

Edit: It seems the biggest thing people complain about in regards to the Premiers is the fact that their UI is really F'ed up compared to that of the S2's & S3's. If this is infact true regardless of any answers I get this alone would probably sway my decision to not upgrade coupled with the prices.

2. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Your pricing is off. The lifetime service on the S2 does not transfer to the premier. You still need to purchase service for both new units.

The HD UI on the premier is indeed broken. (STILL). Many believe it may never work. Using the old SD interface they work fine but why would you upgrade a perfectly working S3?

3. wp746911

wp746911 New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    1.No idea-are they limiting lifetime upgrade discounts? I honestly wouldn't rush to upgrade a perfectly good S3- unless you need an additional tivo box. The s2 I would upgraade.

2. It' s a personal preference issue- I don't think getting the XL is worth it. THX certification may or may not amount to anything. The glo remote is what it is- its nice but they have that new bluetooth remote which is much better. The 1TB of space is great, but now you can buy a 2 tb hard drive for $100 and add it to your premiere- I would get the base units and add the hard drive. I would not pay extra for the xl vesrions.

3. Not sure about what you mean 100%. You will have to buy new subscriptions for your tivo units. Lifetime WILL NOT automatically transfer. Lifetime is ONLY for the lifetime of the units. Now some people can have their lifetime subscriptions transfered for a fee- but I'm no expert in that. In your situation it might be best to call them and have them explain all your options, since transfering the lifetime may be an option. I would definitely try to transfer the S2 liftetime, but I wouldn't mess with transfering the s3 lifetime (sell the s3 with lifetime on ebay instead).

4. no diea.

5- your comment on the ui-
    ehhh that's a tough comment. IMHO, the UI is NO WORSE than your s2 and s3. If you keep your ui in SD, it will feel like you have a very fast S3 unit. If you use HD menus (which I do), it will look nicer (with live tv in the upper right corner), but will run a little slower than your s3. I wouldnt say the UI is F'ed up, just has let a lot of people down. It is still unpolished. which is why I think its a hard sell to have people upgrade s3 units to tivo premiere units. But an s2 to a premiere is light and day.

4. wp746911

wp746911 New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    oh and I see your confusion with which device offers lifetime.
    Since the S2 currently has lifetime, your upgrade price includes a box discount plus a lifetime discount (you have to rebuy lifetime, unless you can pay $$ to get them to transfer it).
    Since your S3 never had lifetime, you are only getting a box discount- lifetime would be full price (well maybe $300 multi-unit discout).

So you are looking at
    premiere 1= 269(box)+200(lifetime)=469
    premiere 2= 200(box)+300(multi service lifetime discount)=500

I think- like I said, call tivo to clarify. I think you are misunderstanding the lifetime gig. You can't transfer it (for free anyway). The upgrade offers aren't so much a pure upgrade as they are a discounted rate for those with prior service.

5. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa

Advertisements

Thx, you really helped out with all that, also I was thinking of upgrading the S3 to Premier just because of some of the few all be it minor extra features like the disk space meter and from what I can tell by your comments a bluetooth remote which would be a big plus given the odd placements of my current units.

As for the regular Premier and XL debate I suppose it would be cheaper to buy the regular Premiers and self upgrade the HD which seems to really be the only difference between XL and regular Premiers aside from the whole THX thing which personally I can't seem to notice any big differences in even when I used to be hooked up to a HTS on both my units.

Oh and this may sound stupid but when upgrading, does TiVo require you to send in your old boxes or do you just get to keep them with whatever plans they have ?

If you get to keep them I could easily recoup some costs by selling the OLED S3 with lifetime if I upgraded that to Premier. The S2 though is definately going to be upgraded one way or another even if I just get another OLED S3 and forget the Premiers all together.

Edit: NM on the bluetooth thing since it now seems like you need a USB dongle to use em. In any case, the ne thing that's really bugging me that I'll be damned if I can find an answer for is this whole one remote to use two premiers like how with the current S2 / S3 remotes you got that 1/2 switch which doesnt appear to come on the BT remote or any of the remotes that come with the two Premier versions (regular & XL).

6. wp746911

wp746911 New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    In my mind, there is very little reason to get a XL- if you want the extra space yeah buy a $100 2TB drive (or spend $200 and get one preprogrammed on ebay) and you can get more drivespace for less.

The new bluetooth remote is seperate sale only- it does come packaged with a bluetooth dongle.

No- it is an 'upgrade' program but you keep everything you have- more of a customer loyalty discount program than anything.

Many people have sold their old tivos to recoup some money for the new purchase.

Good luck- sorry I know nothing about the remote switch.

7. puckettcg

puckettcg New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    They don't require you to send them back. In fact, they will try to talk you into keeping the service on the old unit. If you already have a life-timed unit, you still get to keep it and the lifetime on it, plus you get the discounted new unit. They tried every argument in the book to try to convince to keep service on my two non-lifetime S2 units, including giving it away to a friend or family member.

8. FishersMike

FishersMike New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Yes when you upgrade it ask you if you would like to continue service on the old unit (and you can select which plan you want if you do) otherwise there is an option to not keep service. When you select you do not want service anymore it will tell you you get 60 days of free service before they disable it to make sure you get your new unit working okay. Even though it still is enabled, on tivo.com it shows the box as deactivated, however, so you will not be able to remotely schedule programs to record. But yes I am going to sell my two HD Series 3 to friends to pay for my two TiVoSlide Remotes and still have some left over. They do not make you turn them in, assuming that they want you to sell them to get the buyer's to activate service. Pretty smart as most people are not going to just throw them away.....

9. evanborkow

evanborkow Member

Mar 17, 2008

10. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    All good info, and since they dont require you to send i nthe old units I could user the cheaper upgrade option to replace my S2 with a lifetime Premier or somehing. Again, this assumes I upgrade at all.

11. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    2. I think the THX certification for the XL's is mostly for the same reason the original Series 3 was THX certified: the superior analog to digital encoder in the Series 3, and, most likely, the XL's. I can't find it now, but one of the members here posted a very good technical post on the differences between the encoders for the THX certified and those not along with captures that really do show the difference, but it was only a slightly more than subtle one that most people would notice. It was a difference that almost all videophiles would notice, but probably most of the population may not be able to see the difference as easily. TiVo had to do more than just a smaller HD to bring the price down.

Now, the question is how important is having the better encoder (we presume this is so for the Premier XL as one can't think of much else to justify THX claiming the it exceeds the basic unit by THX "top standards") is to each person? Probably not worth the extra $$ to many people, especially as more cable cos. continue moving all its TV services to digital.

If one is obsessed with perfection, I suppose it is worth it to them, if there is anything left to encode by the end of next year. I use the TiVo S3 analog tuners/encoders for TV1 & TV2 outs (12 channels) of Dish Network boxes, so I'll continue to have lots to encode for some time. I would say, get the less expensive box and upgrade the internal on your own dime. However, if you have the money and don't want to "hassle" the hack, then by all means, get a Premiere XL and enjoy.

12. Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    i got a TPXL with Lifetime because my brain is stupid and it says that it cost more so it must be better... and I tried to justify it with the remote and the more space...

now the Glo remote is pretty sweet, but the space is pointless since I have TiVo Desktop and I can just transfer it to my PC...

and i have almost zero problems with my HDUI...

if I buy a second tv I will get the regular Premiere, but I do love my TPXL, I'm not sure it's worth the extra cash though

13. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Well, I understand you slight buyers remorse, but I would say to let it go and enjoy your XL. You may find the extra space worth it when you get to busy to transfer recordings. It's a much nicer feeling knowing you aren't going to max out the capacity too soon, and I do predict you will come close to maxing your extra HDD space with all the new shows you will record and not have a chance to view for a while.

So, enjoy your new purchase and go ahead an feel a bit smug:) about having the XL while the rabble make do with the standard box and the NO glow remote. Feel good about it.

14. Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    oh don't get me wrong, I love it, and if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the TPXL, because there's no fixing that thing in my brain that says it's nicer because it's more expensive....

but, I have a hard time recommending someone spend $800... especially when the regular Premiere has gotten so cheap

but had I bought the cheap premiere I would still think, man I want that TPXL, but I will be in the market for a 2nd TiVo soon, and I will probably get the Premiere since I already have the TPXL

15. enkeli

enkeli New Member

Dec 20, 2006
    the 2TB HD you're talking about here is not the external esata western digital drive, is it? if it is, can you tell me where you found it? i've only been able to find 1TB drives to connect. or maybe you're talking about hooking up a non-tivo approved esata drive?

if you're talking about cracking open the case and swapping out the drives - for those of us (like me!) who don't necessarily have the time or the inclination to open up the case and void the warranty, spending extra money is the only way to go. :)

16. enkeli

enkeli New Member

Dec 20, 2006
    thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! i have an S2 tivo and have been looking to upgrade to an HD unit; i'm really starting to feel that i'm not getting the most out of my HDTV with the S2. have been heavily debating the merits of the premiere over the XL, and i found everyone's comments here very helpful!

as i mentioned in a previous reply in this thread, the bigger hd is definitely appealing - and as someone who doesn't really have the time to hack the box, wouldn't mind shelling out the extra cash upfront to get more space. i'm really curious to know how the HDs in the XLs are holding up?

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The DVR Expander external hard drives max out at 1tb right now, and cost over $100. I'm guessing he's talking about an internal drive. And he must also be talking about installing the software onto the drive yourself, because a 2TB drop in replacement drive from Weaknees is $300.

To me that is hardly a viable option. Most people would be uncomfortable installing a drop in replacement, let alone having to install the drive into a PC first to format it properly. I'm a big techy and could take my PC apart in my sleep, but I've still only ever upgraded a TiVo by hand once because it's such a PITA. In fact the only reason I even did that one is because the drive died and it was either upgrade or throw it away.

While upgrading the drive yourself is possible, and relatively inexpensive, I think most people would rather pay the extra cash for an officially sanctioned method like buying an XL or an expander.

Dan

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you have an HDTV and a S2 TiVo you're missing out. In fact I found my S2 video quality actually looked worse after upgrading to an HDTV. I think you'll be very happy with an upgrade to a HD capable TiVo.

I have a premiere XL and it's been going fine for a few months now. I originally had some issues with the new HD user interface, but I just switched back to the old style UI and I've been happy ever since.

Dan

19. enkeli

enkeli New Member

Dec 20, 2006
    thanks for this, dan! if you don't mind me asking, what made you want to buy an XL over getting the standard size and connecting an esata drive?

also, i know this is slightly off topic, and i don't know if you still have your S2, but how well do shows transfer between the premiere and the S2? just curious!! with the awesome upgrade offer going this month, thinking about getting an xl for the living room and then upgrading the S2 to a regular premiere for the bedroom (although, i still have an analog tv in there... hmm).