Is the Premier more reliable than the Series 3 for SDV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jsquared222, Feb 11, 2011.

1. jsquared222

jsquared222 New Member

Dec 2, 2005

Advertisements

My cable provider is TWC in San Diego. I'm frustrated with how unreliable my Series 3 is when it comes to SDV channels and the Cisco tuning adapter. I've gone so far as to complain to the FCC, which resulted in TWC coming out and thoroughly checking for signal strength, etc. According to TWC, there's nothing wrong on their end. They even went so far as to say that the Series 3s were more prone to have SDV / tuning adapter issues, and that the Premiere had no issues with SDV / tuning adapters. Ironically enough, TiVo support also mentioned the Premiere being more reliable with SDV / tuning adapters.

Are there any Premiere owners who upgraded from a Series 3 and found their SDV / tuning adapter more reliable?

2. djacobson

djacobson New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I just upgraded from a Series 3 to a Premiere (Austin Time Warner), *and* I kept the same old Cisco TA on my Premiere. I have significantly better performance on the SDV channels, no more black-outs and rebooting my Tivo (which I constantly had to do on my S3) to fix it. I'm convinced it's the newer, multi-stream cable card I also upgraded to when I got the Premiere (my Series 3 still has two older single-stream cable cards). Originally, I thought the multi-stream cards were incompatible with the Series 3, but, then I heard they can act as a single-stream in an S3 slot. Had I know that, I would have upgraded my cable cards in my S3 a long time ago.

BTW, even though things are working better now, I still think the Cisco TA is flaky... got a second one upstairs with an infinitely blinking green light, which I'm going to need to drive across town and replace one of these days.

3. jsquared222

jsquared222 New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. Anyone else enjoying better SDV tuning reliability with the Premiere versus the Series 3? :confused: