Is the lifetime TiVo transferable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by barb1948, Jun 12, 2018.

1. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO

Advertisements

CEB9E25D-7FF1-4A38-B2B1-DBCF1BE38313.jpeg I apologize if this has been answered Prebiously, but I have a Roamio Plus with 1 TB. And a Mini. I assume they are transferable. I actually was ‘gifted’ the box from an employee of TiVo.. a VP if that makes a difference.
    I’ve attached model/serial.
    Thank you
    Barbara

I HAVE A CASE NUMBER FOR THE ROAMIO AND THE MINI FROM TIVO FOR NEW OWNER.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    What do you mean by transferable? It stays with the box, so if you mean can you put the box in your name, then it is transferable 'to you' in that sense. If you mean transfer from one box to another (for example, from the Den TiVo/S2 to the Living Room/Roamio Plus), then except in very limited circumstances, no.

Without knowing the rest of the story, I would suggest the best course of action would be to ask the VP that gifted the box to you.

computersteve likes this.
  3. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO

Sorry I wasn't clear. I want to sell the box and trying to understand if and how I can pass along the LT subscription to new owner. thank you

4. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    It follows the box.

5. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO

Advertisements

I HAVE CALLED TIVO AND THEY HAVE GIVEN ME A CASE NUMBER FOR THE ROAMIO AND MINI FOR TRANSER

6. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    I was concerned about the transfer of the lifetime subscription since I thought i had read somewhere this no longer allowed,
    but it seems this is not the case.

7. dstoffa

dstoffa Member

Dec 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    Ownership of the physical box can change. The "Lifetime" subscription moves with the physical box. You may require Tivo's help in changing the account that the lifetime Tivo resides in...

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I would never buy a used tivo with a "free temporary tivo service" subscription because, well, "temporary" is far from lifetime and it could be cancelled at anytime. Unless it were being sold at a subscriptionless price.
    If I were selling such a tivo, I would do everything I could to make the temporary sub situation more than clear to any potential buyers.

9. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Good catch. I think the OP should try and get TiVo to change the designation on the unit. Maybe fib a little and say she bought it thinking it had permanent lifetime. Otherwise, selling this unit with the temporary provision is going to be problematic.

10. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I don't know if Free temporary service transfers with the box.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I have TiVo Mini that was given to me from a contest or something with TiVo. I was told that I could not transfer that box to someone. And keep the lifetime service on it like I could with Minis I purchased normally.

12. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    One might imagine that a Tivo box provided by an employee of Tivo to a friend comes with free service rather than lifetime service to avoid having such units get too broadly distributed. That could present a limitation on what OP may be able to do with the box received as a gift.

13. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I see "OP" frequently on here..Can you tell me what it stands for and what it means?

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Original Post or Original Poster. It was OnePass. Now that is usually 1P. With a PC and signatures enabled, I have a link to a few abbreviations.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  15. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    All very interesting and a big learning curve. The box was a gift from a TiVo employee and it was free to me. It came with free subsctription service , which I’ve had since 2014. At one point I was sent a message that my subscription would expire,but it never did., so good for me I guess. I’m going to sell it on eBay with full disclosure. Which is they could cancel
    The free subscription at any time or maybe not. Thank you all

16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Years ago, I believe that TiVo Margret caught wind of a similar situation here and had the box owner contact her, and she did some magic on her end.

17. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Who is TiVo Margaret. A real smart TiVo person?

18. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Margret left TiVo a while back. She used to periodically come to this forum with info, answer questions and solve a few problems.

19. barb1948

barb1948 Willing

Oct 14, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Too bad she’s not around. I had a great run l with TiVo and free service, so i need not be greedy when selling it, but it would be nice to Pass along the LT to someone.
    Thanks for your comments. Barbarao

20. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The issues as others have said, is that this complimentary service was given to people and can be stopped at any time and this is not transferable.
    I would not ever feel right selling this box because of it, but I'd be more than willing to gift it to a friend or family member and that's what I would personally recommend.

ClearToLand and stile99 like this.