Is the Copyrighting restriction really this widespread??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by DaFury, Aug 9, 2009.

1. DaFury

DaFury New Member

Jul 4, 2009

Advertisements

Wow...so a couple of days ago, I hooked up a TiVo HD in my bedroom...and it has been doing it's software/guide updating since. Today, my subscription for the new tivo came through. I decided to try out the transfer-capability between the new Tivo and my XL in the living room. I went to download an HD program...and of the 14 HD programs on my XL...EVERY SINGLE ONE shows as being untransferable due to copyright protection. Most of the programs are from Discovery, SciFi, and Foxnews. None of the programs are from premium channels...I don't even have any premium channels. All the SD programs show as being transferable.

Is this standard that I won't be able to transfer HD programs? That would completely blow a hole in my plan to use my bedroom TiVo as an "overflow" recording capability for when my XL wants to record 3+ programs. If I can't transfer any HD...this is really disappointing. Infuriating, actually. I had no idea the copyrighting would be this widespread on HD.

Is it possible that they are showing up as untransferable because there is some sort of account processing hasn't been finished yet?? Or maybe because my new Tivo doesn't have its cable cards yet??:confused:

2. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Who is your cable provider? Different providers have different rules on what they copy protect. Some are incredibly draconian, others are more sensible. Search the forum cor "(your provider name) and copy" , and see what turns up

3. DaFury

DaFury New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    I have Cox in Crestview, FL. I'll see what I can find.

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Federal law prohibits restrictions on recordings from local channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS,e tc).

Brighthouse, Cox, and Time Warner are the most restrictive when it comes to copyright protection on cable channels. I don't suppose Verizon FiOS is available in your area? They don't restrict any non-premium cable channels.

5. DaFury

DaFury New Member

Jul 4, 2009

Advertisements

No FiOS available here, unfortunately.

So, if I am reading correctly...I should be able to transfer anything from the major networks? If so...I think I can work with that. Most of our favorite are major network shows. I don't currently have any HD recordings from the networks saved...maybe I'll record one to test it.

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    That's correct.

7. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    TWC recently copy protected everything but the local channels in my area. I'm gone as soon as the new DirecTiVos are out.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I think all Time Warner regions are copy protecting all digital channels except locals. If anyone knows of an exception, please post.