Is the Bolt still being sold?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by haniwa202, Aug 29, 2020.

1. haniwa202

haniwa202 New Member

Jan 27, 2014

Advertisements

Surfing the Tivo.com website, I don't see the Bolt listed as a DVR product, only Edge and the streaming device.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I haven't looked but I read on some of these threads that it is not being sold anymore.

aaronwt likes this.
  3. haniwa202

haniwa202 New Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Must have been why they had the big sale last month.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4. mblloyd

mblloyd Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Mercer...
    TiVo is shedding a loadstone in the Bolt. Take a look at their corporate Website. Aren’t they focused on streaming? Maybe the whole current platform is nearing its death throes.

5. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005

Advertisements

The days of Bolt are over.. Even TiVo has no Bolts to replace if yours dies, you get an Edge.

Just another coffin nail for TiVo and no one is crying for the loss of the Bolt. I do believe TiVo is closer to getting out of the DVR business. That will be a loss, but we all know the time is coming....

cwerdna likes this.
  6. GDogg

GDogg New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    Suggestions on alternatives? I’ve got FIOS so there’s obviously the Verizon DVR. I tried cord cutting but in the end I really didn’t save any money, and things are getting so fragmented that I expect stations to come and go on any given streaming platform. Has anyone successfully made their own DVR with similar functionality to Tivo?

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Channels DVR seems a popular replacement.

GDogg likes this.
  8. GDogg

GDogg New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    It appears that their current product lineup is OTA only. When I tried cutting the cord I could never get the OTA reliability I wanted. I live between two large cities, but in a bit of a valley. I put a couple of different antennas in the attic and even added an amplifier but some stations were just too weak, whether the antenna was pointed at either cities transmitters.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Works with CableCARD, though not DRM-flagged channels; but it also offers integration with TV Everywhere, bypassing CableCARD for some authorized content.

What is an HDHomeRun?

Can it work with my cable?

Yes. The HDHomeRun Prime model uses a CableCARD from your cable provider, just like how TiVo works. You will be able to watch all of the channels you get with your cable plan, except premium channels like HBO.

One caveat is that this model is no longer manufactured. You can still find them on Ebay though.

Note: Some cable operators protect their channels with Copy Once protection which is incompatible with Channels. Please contact your cable provider.​