Is the $19.99/month "deal" here for good?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by comma splice, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Apr 1, 2011 #1 of 44
    comma splice

comma splice Member

Feb 4, 2010

Advertisements

The $99 down, $19.99/month (w/ one-year commitment) "offer" on the Premiere appears to have been extended indefinitely.

If you remember, the offer was originally set to expire at the end of February, then was "extended" through March 31.

Now that it's April 1, the "offer expires" language has disappeared from http://www.tivo.com/.

Any thoughts? Seems like any hope for product lifetime or longer-than-a-month payment plans is gone, at least for the foreseeable future.

2. Apr 1, 2011 #2 of 44
    Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    This was obviously the goal from the very beginning... I guess I don't care as long as lifetime is still offered and they actually use the new funds to, I don't know IMPROVE THE DAMN PRODUCT?

Where the hell is Hulu? Where's our streaming MRV, or unified NPL, HD menus?

3. Apr 1, 2011 #3 of 44
    arw03

arw03 Almost Customer

Mar 31, 2011
    I think the other plans are still available, just not for immediate purchase. Gotta buy one [full price] with whatever plan, and change it over when you get it.

At least, I really hope that's the case...

4. Apr 1, 2011 #4 of 44
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Think how hard it will be to change back. I foresee the sub $99 Premiere plus $19.99/mo service being all that is available from retailers for some time to come. Anything else will need to be purchased from TiVo.com directly or through a ebay reseller. I would bet we will see a new model before we see the price/service policy change and then it still might not change. Really depends on how well TiVo thinks the $99/$19.99 deal is going. They can always market upgrade deals to to existing costumers through TiVo.com or through our TiVos directly.

Thanks,

5. Apr 1, 2011 #5 of 44
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003

Advertisements

Yep, I think the holiday deal is here to stay. Think of it positively: It's like it's Christmas year-round now!

I have two Lifetime Premieres now. Fortunately (and unfortunately), I think they're going to be the last Tivos I ever buy unless the company makes some radical turnaround from the current trend.

6. Apr 1, 2011 #6 of 44
    vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with the normal DVR user who can put nothing down and get a multi room DVR from their cable company that streams to other boxes for around 20 bucks a month. Why would they pay an extra 99 bucks? So they could not get on demand services from their cable company? So they would not be able to transfer shows back and forth since their CP flags are on? I just see no advantage. I have 3 Premieres I upgraded to lifetime and 1 TB drives (DIY) but the only reason for them is because FIOS is protection free for me for now. Once that flag goes on they go on ebay and the party is over.

7. Apr 1, 2011 #7 of 44
    larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    It accomplishes a lot for them. I hate it for me, but I can see why they are doing it. If it gets new customers to buy due to the low entry, then so be it. From my perspective, I have an HD I would like to upgrade but the upgrade offer stinks in that I pay for the box (more than I would likely find on fleabay) and then have to choose a plan on the box that is more than the current $6.95 I am paying on the HD. My only choice is ebay and HOPING I will be able to swap it for my HD box.

8. Apr 1, 2011 #8 of 44
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Some people have said they were able to buy a Premiere at the upgrade cost and retain the $6.95/mo service cost. You have to call TiVo and buy through a CR.

If you try it out post back how it worked out.

Good Luck,

9. Apr 1, 2011 #9 of 44
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    So you think TiVo would be better off providing their boxes and service at a bigger loss than they are now? The cable and Satellite companies use DVRs as loss leaders nothing TiVo can do about that. If you live someplace where a great loss leader deal is being offered lucky you.

Thanks,

10. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    They're still selling boxes and service at a loss? What exactly is keeping them afloat then?

Tivo will be successful to the extent that they market a "better" box than the cable companies. It's clear that they cannot compete on price, so they have to compete on features. They still have the edge, but the total lack of innovation that is the Premiere tells me that edge is fast getting dull.

The moment cableco boxes start having more features than the Tivo is the moment people stop buying Tivos.

I still think there is a market for a deluxe box, along the lines of the S3 with front panel display, maybe a sdram slot for viewing pictures, bundled bluetooth remote, built in wireless, things like that. Such a box could sell at a higher price. Unfortunately, the Premiere is not that box. not even close. I keep trying to figure out what exactly differentiates it from the THDs that I owned before I upgraded. Half an HDUI is about it.

11. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    It does have a somewhat faster processor, of course (or two, if TiVo ever gets multithreading working on both of them). And for OTA use, I find the demodulators in Premiere better than those in my TiVo HD. On a couple of local stations with severe multipath, I get dramatically fewer uncorrected errors.

12. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    This was one of my reasons for upgrading from the THD to the Premiere. The other reason being the HDUI. Unfortunately, the HDUI is both incomplete and runs slower than my THD's SDUI. Tivo has to do better if they want to compete. Whatever success they are having now is solely due to everyone else being worse.

The real advantage the Premiere did have is faster MRV times, and pyTivo is something I use frequently. Still, I feel like I was the victim of a bit of a bait and switch here. I knew of the flaws last year, but expected a software update to address them. Admittedly, my own fault, but a mistake I shall not make twice.

13. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Yes they still do not have positive earnings, there income statement showed about a 84.5 million dollar loss for last year.

What keeps them afloat is a much more complicated question. I don't know enough to completely explain it correctly but they have generated significant amounts of cash by selling stock over the years. If I remember correctly their stock price was in the $50+ ranch a decade ago (it's about $9 now) and much of the cash generated by stock sales was used for operating & development and invested for future operating & development.

14. jediphish

jediphish New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    I believe the original offer was supposed to expire December 31, then they pushed it to January 31, then they extended the "deal" another month to the end of February, then ... wha? - huh? - they extended the pricing again to the end of March, and, whoa? now it just appears that it was all a ruse - they fully intended this to be the new pricing altogether and used the "special" as a means to try to get people to sign up, making people think the deal wouldn't be available in the future.

Good sales tactic - sure - good business decision - not so much. Not that way good companies do business.

15. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo can't easily go back on their pricing because of the number of TP sold at under $100, I will bet some people have stocked up on $80+ TPs waiting for the price to go back up to $299 with Lifetime back at $299/$399, I purchased one just for spare parts for my 4 working TPs.
    Lifetime service has been a loss for TiVo, you can still see people on this form using Lifetime Series 1s!! over 10 years old, for non HD recording connected to a cable box it still does the job with a hard drive change every 4 to 6 years. Who would have thought that some electronics would still be useful 10+ years after purchase.

16. comma splice

comma splice Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Interesting point.

But I bet they have some way of knowing which TPs were sold during the $99.99 MSRP window so they can prevent what you're talking about.

17. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo has no idea from the TSN who sold what to whom and when, if the TSN had that information than the brouhaha that took place after 11/14/2010 would not have required sending in invoices of when and what price you purchased your TP, also if they changed the pricing a place like Amazon, and other stores, do not keep track of what TSN goes with what order, they just take the TiVo off the shelf, I have friends purchase from Amazon over a month apart and the older order had a newer mfg date than the newer order, TiVos are just boxes until you activate the unit. Nobody has every reported that TiVo had told them that your TPs TSN has any control on what service plan you can get. IE on day zero you purchase a $99 TP from Best Buy pick one out from the shelf, on day 1 you purchase another TP for $299 from Best Buy, do you really think from day 0 to day 1 Best Buy would make a record of every TP TSN in all their stores and send that information to TiVo to enter some computer program at TiVo, not likely. And who would get the extra $200, would Best Buy have to pay X $ to TiVo for all their existing stock ? This problem would go for all retail stores that sell the TP. The current pricing will be with us for a long time or when TiVo makes a model change (like a Series 4a (we fixed the HDUI) or a Series 5 )

18. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am with lessd on this one (see my 1st post in this thread - #4).

It is also fairly clear that TiVo uses woot.com to clear inventory and for all we know also uses ebay.

Authorized Retailers will likely stay with the $99/$19.99/mo deals unit TiVo has a model change. If TiVo needs to move units another way it will be through upgrade offers, woot.com, maybe ebay, & TiVo.com.

Thanks,

19. generaltso

generaltso Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    When I called to get lifetime service on my Woot box, I just gave the CSR the TSN and she said "I see this is a box from Woot, so it does qualify for lifetime service." I didn't have to provide any kind of invoice or proof that it wasn't a subsidized box. How would they know that if the TSN wasn't somehow tied to whether it's a subsidized box or not?

20. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    They know what units that were sold through woot.com because TiVo was using woot.com to liquidate their inventory of refurbished units. I would bet that the units were actual shipped by TiVo directly to the buyers. New units sold in stores would require the stores send TiVo the TSN of each unit sold and included when the unit was sold - not likely to happen.

Thanks,