Is streaming officially switched on?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Bsteenson, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Bsteenson

Bsteenson TiVo is no BS

Jul 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Has the switch been thrown on multi-room streaming?

I thought it was going to be activated Monday (Jan. 25), but I have two Premieres both running 20 software and the only option is to transfer (although, interestingly, remote delete is now available).

2. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    The 30th

3. TwiceOver

TwiceOver New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    So what is the difference between "streaming" and "transferring"? I've always been able to transfer and can play immediately so what is "streaming" going to get me?

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Streaming has several advantages:
    1. Avoids having 2 copies of a show you then have to remember to remove on 2 different units.
    2. You can stream a show from another unit that is still recording. With "transfer" you have to wait until the show is fully recorded before you can transfer it.
    3. You can FF to anywhere in the show without having to wait for the whole show to transfer.
    4. Some cable companies copy protect most channels so some people have never been able to transfer anything. With streaming you can stream copy-protected shows to other TiVos.

#2 for me is a HUGE advantage especially when I want to start watching a multi-hour sports show in another room that hasn't finished recording yet

EDITED TO ADD:
    5. Also I guess supposedly you can also stream more than 1 show at a time to other TiVos rather than having to queue up transfers that only go out 1 at a time.

5. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Thanks! I was curious about #2. HUGE!

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Totally random question, that people probably don't actually know the answer to.

Does anybody think the third party utils will ever be able to do this too? I realize the Elite (and other Premieres) apparently have a way higher transfer speed, but for me it seems to take at least 20 minutes for an hour long SD show (around a gig).

If I could "stream" (but really be downloading to computer), I could essentially save time, if I was doing it for shows in progress (which once in a while I'd like to do).

7. Adaptel

Adaptel New Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I have a Tivo HD, A Premiere, and just got an Elite box (love the 4 tuners). I am really excited and wanting to use MRS instead of copying shows from one box to another. If both my Premiere boxes have 20.2, why can I delete and transfer shows from the other box, but not stream them? If streaming won't be switched on until the 30th, how is there tons of other threads here with people talking about using the streaming features now?

8. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Streaming is switched on by TiVo. Yes a lot of people do have MRS currently enabled - I would even say most... But they won't be complete until Monday.

9. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    If your cable company is especially obtuse and copy protects everything just because they can, it means you can use a Premiere in one room as the display device for another! You just need to have really fast wireless or, preferably, WIRED networking between them. I no longer have to camp out in my bedroom to watch what recorded there, and I've got my season passes allocated pretty much evenly between the two units. Streaming rocks.

10. Bsteenson

Bsteenson TiVo is no BS

Jul 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Now all we need is a way to manage Season Passes on a remote unit!

(Although I suppose that's just as easy online.)

11. LoveOvit

LoveOvit New Member

Dec 16, 2011
    I have 20.2 on both my Premiere XL units, and called TiVo today, who told me that the only thing keeping MRS from working is that one of my two Premiere XL units is "paired" with my other three non-Premier Tivo's instead of the other Premiere XL. They told me to uncheck the video sharing for the Premiere XL that isn't paired properly, under the My Account settings, and then have it connect to Tivo. Then wait 2 hours, check video sharing for that unit, and then reconnect to Tivo again. It didn't work. I still don't have MRS. Was this just BS?

Anyone know what else to do to get the MRS to work?
    Or have I been misinformed, and the likely problem is that MRS has not yet been switched on by TiVo on both devices?

Is there any way to determine that the MRS switch has been enabled on 20.2, if MRS still isn't showing up in the menu, due to a problem with which box the Premiere box is paired with for video sharing, whether transfers or streaming?

Supposedly, according to Tivo, the switch to enable it has already been enabled on both Premier XL units, but the MRS option still doesn't show up when I find a recorded show on the other Premiere XL unit from the first Premier XL unit...

I need to free up some future space on one of the two units for some 50 hours of new recordings over the next 4 days (Farmer's Insurance Open at Torrey Pines, and Tiger in Dubai), by cancelling Season Passes that are duplicates, but can't do that until I know that MRS is working on both boxes...

12. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    You were probably misinformed. I would give it till Monday( maybe even Tuesday after it does it's call home Monday) and if it still doesnt have it by then... be concerned

13. Bsteenson

Bsteenson TiVo is no BS

Jul 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Sounds like complete BS to me. I've never heard of TiVos being paired to each other. I've had up to four units on the same network and each box could see all other three units in the show list.

Interestingly, however, when I got home tonight I had multi-room streaming. Don't know what changed since yesterday when I didn't have it, although I can say that it was only a couple of days ago that my second Premiere got the software update to 20. Maybe they are turning it on incrementally.

14. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  15. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I have two premieres with 20.2 and an old Series 2 and multi room streaming is not enabled for me. I will try un-checking the "share video" box on the old series 2 on the website to see if that lets the two premieres stream to each other