Is something seriously wrong with TiVo’s guide data?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Puppy76, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Jan 16, 2020 #1 of 345
    Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004

Advertisements

I thought I’d see posts about this left and right, but I don’t, so is this somehow just me?

tonight, 1/16/2020, of the 9 channels I have favorited, FIVE of them have no guide data at all.

I’ve NEVER seen anything like this from Tivo in my 16 years. Nothing even close.

that’s on top of not the correct guide data for the conners tonight, screwed up guide data for Seth Meyers a week or two ago, screwed up SNL guide data, and screwed up Saturday morning data. But this is by far the worst yet.
    What the heck is going on? I’m literally going to have to access TV guide and set up manual recordings.

I rebooted and did a guide update, and nothing.

bsouthwick and JoeKustra like this.
  2. Jan 16, 2020 #2 of 345
    WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I've no issues with my 'GUIDE' --- NONE!

tenthplanet likes this.
  3. Jan 16, 2020 #3 of 345
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Fine here, Cable One Boise.

tenthplanet likes this.
  4. Jan 16, 2020 #4 of 345
    Puppy76

Oct 6, 2004
    Huh...thanks...guess it’s just my area. I’ve literally never had anything like this happen. Am I supposed to contact Tivo?

5. Jan 16, 2020 #5 of 345
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Run a service connection after 3pm Eastern. Which networks? I only have 20 channels as Favorites, so I may not see those you are having problems with.

6. Jan 16, 2020 #6 of 345
    mbernste

mbernste Active Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Piscataway, NJ
    I know The Conners were listed twice in my "To Do" list with very generic guide data. I didn't look this morning to see if it was recorded. Other than that, I haven't had any issues with the guide. I know several of the shows are still in reruns this month or only have two new episodes as preparation for next month's sweeps. Because of this, new shows are going to be light for a little while. Expect the same to happen in March and April in preparation for the season-end May sweeps as well.

7. Jan 16, 2020 #7 of 345
    Puppy76

Oct 6, 2004
    Thanks, I’ll try that!

I’ve got no guide data for CBS or PBS or World, And also the smaller stations Comet and MyTV (I’m sure others too that I don’t bother displaying).

Weirdly, I’ve noticed my to do list is still showing all my cbs shows as taping tonight, Young Sheldon, Evil, etc., and yet he guide data is blank now. I’m going to have to remember to update after 3Eastern, and possibly set up manual recordings.

I've never seen anything like this at all from a Tivo.

The Conners is showing as recording two episodes tonight, with generic data...tv guide shows that too, zap2it shows two other shows, so that’s probably not the TiVo’s fault at least, but this seems like it’s all massively downhill the past couple of weeks.

The shows being light I can see, but I e never had that affect my guide data like this before...literally has never happened.

8. Jan 16, 2020 #8 of 345
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's a good example. The Conners will broadcast on ABC tonight, 1/16, with two episodes that lack an OAD and have a generic decription, so TiVo should record them. There is an (R) for repeat however.

Like the post above, Gracenote shows two different repeats with generic data.

Diana Collins likes this.
  9. Jan 16, 2020 #9 of 345
    nc88keyz

nc88keyz Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Coastal...
    You were part of the FCC repack for ota. best to report guide issues with tivo form on website. but they absolutely know about it. Rescan your channels and force a network call reboot box and wait. Ita ridiculous they knew this was coming and what should have been done proactively.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Puppy76 likes this.
  10. Jan 16, 2020 #10 of 345
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I noticed last night the 2020 episodes of Modern Family have been labeled E13 and E14 when the 2019 eps ended at E9.

11. Jan 16, 2020 #11 of 345
    realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Actually, I think ABC just made the change yesterday from 2 repeats of The Connors to Mixed-ish and Black-ish for tonight.

12. Jan 16, 2020 #12 of 345
    Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I just checked the guide on my Recast. For ABC tonight it shows Jeopardy Greatest of All Time from 8pm-9:02pm, and The Last Days of Richard Pryor from 9:02pm-11pm. I thought the Richard Pryor show was supposed to air Friday night, so I have no idea what's going on.

13. Jan 16, 2020 #13 of 345
    realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Jeopardy games for Wed-Fri this week were if needed, and it wasn’t needed so I think it left everyone scrambling a bit despite the fact that ABC knew which games were needed since it was prerecorded.

14. Jan 16, 2020 #14 of 345
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    We missed CBS recordings on Monday night owing to that one channel not having any guide data. I tried several service connections but none got that channel populated. What worked was a "Clear Program Information and To Do List," followed by the service connections necessary to get the guide data restored.

* Comcast in Western Illinois

cwerdna and Puppy76 like this.
  15. Jan 16, 2020 #15 of 345
    reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    No missing guide information for me, but I submitted a lineup ticket to Tivo this morning on episode sequencing issues. I listed a dozen different series where they have or will mess up the episode number sequencing. Here's the series I submitted, All Rise, Bull, Carols Second Act, Chicago Fire, Chicago Med, DCs Legends of Tomorrow, Dare Me, Dynasty, Evil, Modern Family, NCIS, and Power. Probably doesn't matter to most folks, but Plex is particular about it for getting the metadata right.

Puppy76 likes this.
  16. Jan 16, 2020 #16 of 345
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's almost like they're just making stuff up.

pj1983 and Puppy76 like this.
  17. Jan 16, 2020 #17 of 345
    Puppy76

Oct 6, 2004
    ‍ *sigh*

thanks, it probably should have, but didn’t even occur to me that that nonsense could be what’s causing this.

I did a rescan (and forced another update), and...this is all a mess.

My CBS station is, apparently, broadcasting on two frequencies now, the old one, and a new one...the new one has Tivo guide data, the old one doesn’t. The old frequency has a significantly stronger signal

Comet, my PBS stations, and MyTV are all continuing to broadcast on their old frequencies. Tivo no longer has guide data for them or knows what they are, but they aren’t broadcasting on the (I’m assuming) new frequencies that Tivo has guide data for.

I think my Pbs station is doing SOMETHING tomorrow with the physical transmitter, so maybe the new frequencies are correct, but just a day early. Maybe.

I guess I’ll try to record off the new cbs frequencies and hope for the best, though it’s disturbing they’re weaker. Otherwise I’ll have to disable that channel, re-enable the old one, and set up manual recordings for tonight.

I can’t believe how messed up/complicated this is, and I’m still ticked we’re just giving away bandwidth to cell phone companies.

I also found out Tivo wrecked the signal scan tool on hydra...it no longer displays video, which means I can’t tell how well a station is REALLY coming in, and in this case I can’t verify what the hell the station actually IS lol.

18. Jan 16, 2020 #18 of 345
    tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Rovi and Gracenote both confirm 2020 is running Friday night, The Last Days of Richard Pryor is running on Thursday night and ABC ran a commercial confirming it the other day.

19. Jan 17, 2020 #19 of 345
    ClayKY

ClayKY Member

Aug 23, 2005
    KY
    It’s not just you. It’s happened numerous times to my cable box as well as my mother’s in the last few weeks with no rhyme or reason as to which channels are affected. A new data fetch will fix it if a download is available, otherwise I’ve had to resort to a “clear guide data” and do a fresh data fetch.

Good luck.

krkaufman likes this.
  20. Jan 17, 2020 #20 of 345
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'd like to thank @Puppy76 for starting this thread. It is the location to report quality errors in the guide. We already have a thread for missing SM, one for service connection problems and a whole forum for last minute guide 1P screwups. This thread's focus is the wrong, missing, and just poor data being contained in the guide. Since I changed from Sony DHG then Motorola DVDR, the TiVo guide (like the DHG) has always been the source of the majority of posts. Ironically, The Sony's guide was from Rovi and they stopped providing a guide, which virtually killed the product.

Now back to our complaints already in progress. :D

tenthplanet likes this.