Is series 1 tivo w/lifetime worth anything?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by EJ, Apr 17, 2011.

1. EJ

EJ New Member

Nov 3, 1999
    Minot, ND

Advertisements

My parents have a series 1 phillips tivo with a lifetime sub and an upgraded hard drive. They still have basic analog cable in their town, but are now on the directv bandwagon.

(By the way, it still has a grandfathered in toll free dial-in number, it's that old!)

Is there anything that makes this worth anything, or should I just have them list it as "free" on craig's list?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I sold both of mine in ~Q3 of 2010. I think I got $55 each for them. They were both upgraded to larger drives. One was a Philips and the other was a Sony SVR-2000.

3. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    When did you get lifetime? If it's old enough, it may be eligible for a lifetime transfer to a new TiVo... that alone may make it worth a fair bit...

4. EJ

EJ New Member

Nov 3, 1999
    Minot, ND
    Unfortunately, not quite old enough.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Advertisements

I search google with the string

site:craigslist.org /sys OR /ele tivo

and see listings from all over the country and there are certainly people out there who think the one they're trying to sell has value.

Put it in the electronics section with a good description and a high price, then bring the price down every week or two until you find someone who agrees with you about its value.

As to the lifetime transfer thing, it may not be old enough to force TiVo to give you a transfer, but it might be old enough to work as a manual recorder without a subscription, and still be able to call to set the clock. In that case you might want to see if you can talk Tivo into giving you a lifetime transfer with a little extra money thrown in.

6. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    Easy for you to say...

7. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    I succeeded in getting them to do that with no money thrown in when my S1 motherboard failed. I was thrilled with the transaction because I transferred it to a TiVo HD.

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Was your S1 a pre or post Jan 2000 lifetime sub?

Were you buying the new Tivo directly from them, or did you already have it?

(I've got 2 lifetimed S1s I'd love to harvest)

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think it was crosstalk from ET phoning home.:)

10. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    It was a post Jan 2000 lifetime, and I didn't already have the TiVo HD; they just told me to go ahead and buy it wherever I wanted to, so I bought it from Amazon.com, and then called them back and they transferred my lifetime onto it for free. They did stipulate it was a one-time deal they were doing for me, and that it wasn't a standard offer kind of thing.

My problem was that being a bad motherboard it's hard to repair; a lifetimed unit that's not working can hopefully usually be saved by repairing the device thus preserving the subscriptiion, but that didn't seem very viable in my case, so they did me this favor, which I eagerly accepted. :D

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    An S1 will still work with direct tv.