Is Seagate 1TB NAS HDD ST1000VN000 better upgrade than WD RED?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by VelvetB, May 10, 2018.

1. VelvetB

VelvetB New Member

Dec 25, 2015

Advertisements

Found this on sale at Seagate NAS HDD ST1000VN000 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive – NeweggFlash.com for $37.99 with free shipping w/ promo code NEFPSCH17. Also eligible for Shoprunner. The data sheet http://www.seagate.com/files/www-co...sources/_shared/docs/nas-hdd-datasheet-gb.pdf makes it appear ideal for upgrading a Tivo HD, TCD652160. Don't see any mention of the Seagate NAS or IronWolf drives in this forum. Comments please.

2. OMGWTF

OMGWTF New Member

May 9, 2018
    My own understanding is that the AV style drives will be the best, as they are designed first in mind to be both power and thermally efficient, deployed to small systems and commonly as a single drive. They secondly are known that they will be in a state of constant writes.

NAS specific drives can be manufactured with different, possibly lower tolerances, because they assume you are putting them together with like drives, if a sector fails there is parity within the NAS to recover the data elsewhere. This is a generalization of industry practices.

Storage system designers generally infer an 80/20 rule, where 80% of disk access is read and 20% is write. Workloads obviously vary based on use, but a DVR is 100% write and simultaneously read when watching content. Granted the rate of which read and write occur are not maxed.

Without sitting down and comparing spec sheets of Seagate NAS and IronWolf drives (which I have no direct experience with) I can't say what one is better.

My assumption however, is that you will still be fine putting a NAS drive in the series3, how much longer can one expect to run it? You are working a drive 24/7 at a much lower load than max capable, so it will still perform functionally. Those with lifetime service certainly can stand to move forward at minimal cost. 5 years? I assume this drive would last as long as that, and if it fails, rebuild it again. $37 is pretty reasonable price. I am considering a rebuild of my 160 and will soon be in a similar position, I have plenty of used 1, 2TB desktop and enterprise sata hard drives laying around, but do I buy new? What is my tolerance to inconvenience?

Maybe someone with DVR experience has a different take, but coming from the computer world perspective it'll work, but may not be the absolute best choice.