Is Roku replacing TiVo on Insignia TVs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by atmuscarella, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1 of 24
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Interesting article about a Roku MLH Dongle that the article claims will come bundled with Insignia TVs.

So will there be any reason to keep the TiVo UI for these TVs? Is this the way forward for "smart" TVs or will devices like TVs, Blu-Ray Players, & DVRs continue to build the "smart" in?

2. Jan 4, 2012 #2 of 24
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I'd say the Insignia TiVo TV is a failure and Best Buy is looking to do something different. Of course, different doesn't necessarily mean successful. Will be interesting to see if this takes off. There are already MHL-compatible TVs on the market, that the stick would work with, but Roku's press release singles out Best Buy/Insignia as they obviously have some sort of deal in place.

Hard to tell what the way forward is. Lots of good Smart TV apps out there, but lots of bad interfaces. And the TiVo "one box" is still a no-show as far as I'm concerned. Where we go may depend on how aggressive the cablecos get (or not) in regards to over-the-top content and what Apple does.

3. Jan 4, 2012 #3 of 24
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I find your article about Roku not meeting sales Forecast also interesting:

Awhile back I posted something to the effect that I thought Roku, Boxee, Etc. were all short lived products as everything seemed to be building "smart" in and their wouldn't be any market for add on devices in a few years.

At this point I think pretty much think everything isn't delivering on the full promise of "smart TV". Roku appears to have gotten as close as anyone and if simply plugging a dongle into your TV actually works I may rethink my view on add on devices.

4. Jan 4, 2012 #4 of 24
    dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Really, what sort of moron could possibly have thought the TiVo implementation on the Insignia TV was going to be desirable as is? That's the real problem. A flawed concept. And then there's the usual "more promise or potential seen than is delivered."

5. Jan 4, 2012 #5 of 24
    atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Note sure what you are saying exactly.

Do you believe that the whole concept of "smart TV" as it is being implemented is a flawed concept or that TiVo's implementation is flawed compared to Samsung's, Panasonic's, Google's, etc.?

I thought what TiVo was offering on the Insignia TVs seemed to be on pare with other offerings however the only one I actually own is Google TV via Logitech's Revue which again is long on promise and short on delivery.

6. Jan 4, 2012 #6 of 24
    ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
  7. Jan 4, 2012 #7 of 24
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If the TiVo TV is a failure, I blame it on Best Buy.

My anecdotal story: I go to BB at least once a month. It wasn't until a couple of months ago that I saw ANY visual display about the TiVo Design Insignia. When did the TV hit the shelves?
    Of the display I saw, it was just a flatscreen TV with a video loop playing. No remote in sight. WTF? At least put the actual product out on display with a remote so I can get a good look at it. :confused:

8. Jan 4, 2012 #8 of 24
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Best Buy didn't market it well or train their staff as far as I can tell (link), but it wouldn't have succeeded even if they had. It's not very good. And it's not clear to me that folks are actively seeking out "smart" TVs or what premium they're willing to pay.

9. Jan 4, 2012 #9 of 24
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    There's one born every minute, I guess.

Yeah.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Cringley's saying he maybe expects Motorola to buy TiVo, that might lead to something interesting.

11. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    The Motorola that Google currently own (along with SageTV)? Hm, interesting. Considering the TiVo's DVR patent infringement lawsuit with Verizon stops at Motorola's door, I suppose it could be possible given Google's unlimited funds. Then again, people have been speculating on a buy out for centuries now and TiVo will be more expensive than ever by successfully defending their IP and with DISH/Echo and AT&T paying licensing fees.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    They sold Motorola Mobility to Google, which means Motorola now has about $12 billion of what used to be Google's money with which to play.

Here's what he said:

"What’s going to happen with TiVO? The pioneering Digital Video Recorder company is still in business with around a million subscribers and it has lately been settling patent infringement cases with big companies like Echostar and — just this week — with AT&T, but the longer term prospects for the company are dim. Yes, they’ll likely rake in hundreds of million more in settlements from companies including Verizon, but at the same time their subscriber base is dwindling and a point will come when their hardware will simply disappear as the company loses manufacturing economies of scale. That is unless they want to start shipping each new unit with a $100 bill attached — something public companies are generally loathe to do.

So I’m guessing a better end for TiVO would be to sell out, despite (or perhaps even because of) the recent court successes. They’ll find a buyer that covets the subscriber base, covets the IP portfolio, covets the revenue stream from recent and future settlements, and maybe sees buying TiVO as some masterstroke in a competitive industry.

There are only two logical buyers for TiVO in my view — Cisco and Motorola. As the two largest manufacturers of cable boxes either could use a kosher DVR implementation to its strategic advantage. I think Motorola is the more likely buyer because it is about to be flush with $12 billion GoogleBucks from the sale of its Motorola Mobility division and because Cisco has been pointedly concentrating lately on its enterprise businesses and might see buying TiVO as sending the wrong signal to Wall Street.

But none of this means a hill of beans to me. I’m not a TiVO subscriber, just an observer."

13. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Does he not realize Motorola's DVR business is part of Motorola Mobility...? Or maybe it doesn't matter?

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Maybe they'll buy TiVo and go into competition with their former other half?

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The Insignia Tivo TV was a brilliant idea. It seriously may be one of Tivo's best ideas to date. The problem is that it's HALF BAKED.

If they added streaming from a Tivo box (or even transferring) it would make it a LOT more attractive. Did anyone on this forum even bother to buy one?

That being said, the Roku dongle might make more sense in the long run. People will most likely replace their set top boxes (or dongles in this case) more often than they will replace their TV's.

Anyone know if the Insignia Tivo TV has received any software updates since it's release?

16. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Agreed on the streaming front. But given what I assume are disastrous sales, I doubt it'll be engineered. Best Buy shipped me a review loaner (which I've since shipped back) and there were no notable updates in the few months I possessed the TV.

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So what was the deal with the "TiVo TV"?

Did it just have the guide like a TiVo or was there more to it than that?

It couldn't record, could it?

18. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    No real guide. Mainly elements the TiVo HDUI. Here's a brief video I had shot.

19. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Smart TVs will never succeed until they figure out how to bypass the cable company forcing a clunky cable box in between the incoming signal and the TV.

20. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    For a while TV's had cable card slots. Why didn't that work?