Is RAM user upgradeable in the Series 3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by MickeS, Jul 25, 2007.

1. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I would think that adding RAM to the Series 3 would speed some things up... can it be done?

2. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I seem to recall that it cannot be upgraded. I have nothing to base that on except my feeble memory, however.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Nope! The RAM chips being used are surface mounted right on the mobo. There were some brave soles back in the old days who increased the RAM in a S1 unit by unsoldering the surface mount chips and replacing them with higher capacity ones, but that's not something the average Joe could do, or even consider with an $800 piece of equipment.

Dan

4. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    How about with a $400 piece of equipment? ;)

Thanks for the replies... so it CAN be done. I'm pretty good at soldering... hmm... :)

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The TiVo HD has twice as much RAM as the older S3 units, so there really is no need.

Dan

6. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Pardon my ingorance...

Why would one need to upgrade the RAM on the S3?

Does the HD come with more RAM? Why?

What purpose would more RAM serve?

Educate me...

Thanks,

Mark

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    More RAM could, theoretically, speed up the user interface. Especially things that cause the "Please Wait" message like rearranging SPs or do broad Wish List searches. But based on what I've read about past attempts at this, the benefits are minimal so I doubt it's worth the cost or effort.

One thing I'm curious about... In another thread someone mentioned that disk access actually has a bigger impact on performance then RAM. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried using a high speed drive, like a Raptor, in a TiVo to see if it sped things up? The one downfall to trying this is that Raptors are loud, but it would be an interesting test none the less.

Dan

8. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I have an S3 now but added a Tivo Cache Card to my S1 with 512mb SDRAM. The UI was noticeably faster, and I was upset when I found out that there was no simple upgrade option for the S3. My S1 with 512mb was faster than my S3.

9. c-surfer

c-surfer Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Diego,...
    Yes, it is disappointing that the S3 is slower than the S1.

10. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Yet, from what I have read..... Even with more RAM the HD is slower than the S3..

Go figure...

11. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    About 10-15 years ago I was at a presentation that included a 300MB SQL Server database running on a Compaq with 1GB of memory. It was pretty fast because the entire databse was in memory. Having the entire Tivo database in memory would also likely be very fast, assuming the software is at all efficient.

12. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    actually I have seen that just in the cnet review but not elsewhere. Two factors at work here
    - the THD is on 8.1 code base and does not have the 8.3 the S3 does which sped up menus.
    - boxes and reviewers are inconsistent - we have reports of DT boxes that are slow yet in general they are pretty snappy. if a reviewer is comparing to a DT (which is not dealing with extra attributes of HD in menu display and serarches) or to nothing but their expectations then they might say that.

it might be one of the few things they could find fault with - menus did not come up right away ;)

13. nigebj

nigebj New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Never tried a Raptor but moved to 7200's on the S2 with minimal impact, nice big caches on the later drives I tried appeared to improve the UI a little, but the updates to the ToDo list, etc, didn't seem to be improved any and the HMO menu always seems to be a dog.

14. mriechers

mriechers New Member

May 26, 2005
    vstone, that was the point of the cache cards in the S1. I was disappointed long ago to learn I couldn't do the same mod to my original S2, but any of these newer models are fairly un-modable compared to the S1 (aside from increased storage).

15. redtape

redtape Member

Oct 14, 2003
    Laurel,...
    You do realize that surface-mount soldering is several orders of magnitude more difficult than normal soldering (and can require special tools)?

16. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Actually, not really. The TiVo HD has 256MB of main RAM, the S3 has 128MB of shared RAM, true. HOWEVER, the HD has one unified SoC that uses that 256MB. The S3 had the main SoC that used th3 128MB and the separate decoder that had its own dedicated RAM bank.

What the TiVo HD has done is just unify the two chips into one and unify the RAM into one bank.

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

17. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    So, which is better for a hi-def TiVo??? The dedicated smaller RAMs of the the S3 or the larger shared RAM of the HD??

I know in the PC arena, I always try to stay away from laptops/desktops that "Share" RAM between system and video. I always look for PCs with separate video cards that contain their own processors and memory.

Maybe separate RAM banks puts a checkmark on the S3 side of the ledger.

18. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Has the memory interface changed from the S3? ie. does it run at a faster clock rate or is the bus wider, etal.?

Has the MPU's cache changed in size?

19. subspace100

subspace100 New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    I too am wondering the same thing as mchiles. Anyone know what is "better"...?

Thanks

20. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    The larger shared RAM should be better, as it can be dynamically allocated wherever it's needed. However, the HD is still on 8.1, so you can't really compare them yet. I very much doubt it makes a difference on dedicated hardware like a TiVo anyway.