Is Product Lifetime Service an option for...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Papageno, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2010 #1 of 14
    Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005

Advertisements

...Premiere units not bought directly from TiVo these days? If not, I'm probably going to go for the $468 (269 bucks for the box, 199 for PLS) offer, because I want PLS, and 199 is a pretty reasonable price, coming in at the equivalent of two years of service (when bought at the current discount).

I hope wringing a CableCard from Comcast isn't too arduous a chore, though. I'm in Portland Oregon, with Comcast, and I've already had a CSR tell me that they don't offer CableCards that work with TiVo at the Digital Economy tier (which is BS, I confirmed with the regulatory people--who confirmed with Comcast--that the guy was full of "it").

2. Dec 4, 2010 #2 of 14
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Right now all Tivo's being sold at retail (online or brick and mortar) are tied to the special deal. Also technically the terms on the upgrade offer require that it be purchased directly from Tivo (which some have gotten around)... I haven't heard anyone get a lifetime on a tivo bought at retail since the promotion started. Even with the special going on dropping the price on the Tivo, I still think the upgrade offer is a good deal.

Good luck with the cablecard. You are correct that they are required to provide it. Just as a possible thought about it, the retention department at Time Warner Cable seemed to know more than the regular folks. It might just be a place that you can try if you fail with the regular supervisors and what not.

3. Dec 4, 2010 #3 of 14
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Are they required to provide a cable card for ANY service? Our local Time Warner offers a "Locals Only" package for $17 a month, but this doesn't include HD Locals. Wondering if that package along with a cable card would unlock HD Locals?

4. Dec 4, 2010 #4 of 14
    socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Your locals only Time Warner Package most likely does include the locals in HD... At least it does in every TWC system I have used, but it was never advertised. I am not sure but the FCC's rules may actually require that they are provided, but I can't remember that for sure. They did give me a hard time about getting a cablecard with it; but one time I did upgrade to the full digital package, got the card, and then downgraded keeping the card.

5. Dec 7, 2010 #5 of 14
    DrTivol

DrTivol New Member

Feb 5, 2005

Advertisements

On Tivo.com, they still have the multi-service discount available:

*Multi-service discount ("MSD") is available for $9.95 per month, 1-year of prepaid service at $99, or Product Lifetime service for $299.
    *To be eligible for MSD, you must be an existing customer with a current paid subscription to the TiVo service (a "Qualifying Subscription") as further defined in TiVo's Multi-service discount agreement
    *Limited to five (5) new TiVo service subscription activations per customer account and must be at the same TiVo service address.
    *A MSD subscription will revert to regular full-price subscription at the end of the current month, or prepaid year, as applicable, if such MSD subscription is no longer eligible for MSD (such as in the event there is no longer a Qualifying Subscription on the account).
    *Multi-service discount pricing does not apply to Web Specials.
    For full terms and conditions, please see TiVo's Multi-service discount agreement.

So if you qualify then you should be able to get the discount. I chatted with a tivo.com representative on line and they were the ones that told me it would be $299 if i bought my own tivo somewhere else and called to get lifetime -- assuming i qualified for MSD.

6. Dec 8, 2010 #6 of 14
    speed_phreak

speed_phreak Member

Apr 6, 2006
    I walked into the Comcast office on Sandy Bvld and got my "self-install" cablecard kit. This "kit" includes a cablecard and a piece of paper outlining the "services" I am loosing by not using a Comcast box, blah.

May take a couple calls to get a CSR that can activate it correctly though... First tech said he could see into my cablecard and get everything he needed, apparently not. When I had to call back I made the CSR take down the numbers on the Cablecard install screen.

7. Dec 8, 2010 #7 of 14
    TVCricket

TVCricket HDUI

Mar 7, 2010
    Will this promotion run only through the holidays or are we in for a 6-8 month time frame?

8. Dec 8, 2010 #8 of 14
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    TiVo has said it is limited, but if the promotion pushes sales they may extend it.

9. Dec 8, 2010 #9 of 14
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I'm still curious what happens to units purchased during promotion period but not activated until after Dec 31 (or whenever the promotion ends). I have a $70 Premiere purchased via Amazon on the way I probably won't bother to try and activate until next year some time... I'll be looking for $199 or $299 lifetime on it else I just won't activate it and keep it for parts.

10. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I am sure some people will find out. It will be interesting to see though.

11. gptv101

gptv101 New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Have been using Series 1 for years. Would love to transfer lifetime subscription already paid for, though not sure if it is possible as they say you can transfer only within 30 days. (Is it so?!?)

As for buying a new one with life subscription, dont know if it makes sense since the entire TV/Cable paradigm is changing (perhaps the reason TIVO is trying push the lifetime subscription again, to make hay while sun shines).

All new TVs now can talk directly to netflix and all sorts of sites that let you download and play on demand. Why would you need Tivo if that is the future? May be time to invest on one of those boxes?:rolleyes:

12. speed_phreak

speed_phreak Member

Apr 6, 2006
    I agree the paradigm certainly changing, but with all the lobbyists that the cable industry employs, I think it will be a very slow move. They will put pressure on the fcc to keep everything the same, but with the appearance of more openness. The media companies will keep merging and buying up any one who attempts to innovate (netflix, hulu, etc), so that they can remain in control.

I just activated a lifetime sub in a premiere and did so feeling comfortable that, I will get my moneys worth. If I have to play by the media company's rules, I might as well play with my favorite ball! (tivo) ;)

13. collins.fax

collins.fax New Member

Dec 17, 2010

Me too! you find anything more about that?

If we're paying that much by the 15 month paying $20 a month you pay how much a lifetime sub would be at $300-- then I'm guessing after paying that you're eligble for a lifetime sub at another $300? Is that right??

14. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Go to the upgrade section of the TiVo site. You will see your current tivos and you can choose to upgrade your series 1. You can't "transfer" your lifetime, but you should be able to upgrade at a reduced price!