Is my wireless network adapter going bad?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by thewolfe, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1 of 17
    thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    My TiVo Premiere XL is freezing at least once a week. It's when I try to go to Tivo Central or switch to Watch TV. It's not always the same.

If I wait 3 to 5 minutes it will clear itself.

Does that sound like it could be my AGO 100 adapter?

2. Aug 2, 2011 #2 of 17
    ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    I would bet that the hard drive is dying. Run the kick start tests to get an idea if it is.

3. Aug 2, 2011 #3 of 17
    Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Are you using HDUI? If so, switch over to SDUI and see if that helps.

4. Aug 2, 2011 #4 of 17
    thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    I saw some instructions but nothing about what info I would get to give me an idea about failing hd.

Also, will all my programing be ok?

And last but not least, could I replace the hd myself, pretty computer savvy and would I be able to transfer over my recorded programs.

5. Aug 2, 2011 #5 of 17
    thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Don't know the terminology.

Is it HD menu or SD menu? If it is, I'm on SD menu.

6. Aug 3, 2011 #6 of 17
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Since it clears up after 3-5 minutes, sounds more like a network problem so yes, the adapter might be going bad.

I suppose it could be a failing drive so you might go ahead and test it. It won't hurt the existing programs to run Kickstart 54 to test your drive. The TiVo wont be doing anything else while the test(s) are running, so don't do them unless you have no recordings scheduled for a while. It will report if it finds any problems.

7. Aug 4, 2011 #7 of 17
    ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    It's a fairly simple process, OR, you can buy a pre-configured drive for around $130, but then you would loose everything and have to set all of your recording options again.

Kind of a half-way option is to transfer your recordings to your PC, install the new drive, configure it, and transfer your recordings BACK to the TiVo.

8. Aug 4, 2011 #8 of 17
    thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Re: transferring programs to computer. Are you talking about using Tivo Desktop? If so 95% of my programs are copyright protected.

9. thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Ran HD test and all passed.

My wireless signal was running in the high 90's for a couple of weeks and this afternoon the Tivo froze going from recorded program to Tivo Central.

Restarted it and checked my wireless signal and it was down around 55.

I've got 3 more days before my warranty runs out although I have placed calls to tech support who said they would honor it if it went over the time line.

I've checked my router's wireless signal using inSSIDer program on my laptop and the signal is good so.............guess I'm going to try a new wireless adapter.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Definitely sounds like it could be the adapter. Premieres are...sensitive to network problems, though most of the issues are in the HD menus.

11. thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm running the SD menu and when I talked to the tech guy they said there was a fix coming out in a couple of weeks that was to help.

12. thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Signal up around 95 but still freezing from time to time but not as much. Cant believe it doesn't have something to do with the singnal Received my replacement TiVo box yesterday. Going to install it on Monday and will see if anything changes.

13. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    It could be the wireless adapter going bad. Do you have another adapter to use to see if that solves the problem? Maybe an ethernet to wireless adapter you could borrow form another box somewhere in your network.

14. MeStinkBAD

MeStinkBAD Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Tucson, Az
    $10 says it's not the wireless adapter.

$5 says selecting "Clear program information and to-do list" for "Reset or Restart TiVo" option under settings will solve this.

15. thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Re-reading my post I left out a crucial piece of the puzzle.....my bad.

I'm running basic TimeWarner cable through their "tuning adapter" and am also using TW card.

After installing the "new" TiVo box it "hung" (not froze). Not froze because I could see the light moving in the TiVo background although the remote would not work.

Anyway, I took the tuning adapter out of the loop and it's been good for two days.

The TiVo tech (they are good) said that it sounded like the TiVo was trying to talk to the system bus (in the tuning adapter, I think) and that was hanging it up.

I'll let you know how it goes and again sorry for lack of details. I hate when some one does that to me and your working on particial info.

16. thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Had to re-install the tunning adapter after three days because it wasn't pushing all the channels through. Had no problem with it out of the loop.

Last four days with it in the loop and then just froze.

Know where do I go?

17. thewolfe

thewolfe New Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Going for a new card and new tuning adapter.