Is my Tivo Series 3 Dead?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MikeA01730, May 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MikeA01730

MikeA01730 New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Hi,

I have an old Tivo Series 3 HD Model TCD652160. Today I tried to use it and all I got was a snowy screen on my old small CRT TV.

All plugs are tight and everything is getting power. The RC controls the TV correctly (volume, signal source) but none of the buttons have any discernible effects on the TiVo. No matter what I do I see snow with no sound on the TV and no response (not even a LED flash) on the TiVo when I press buttons on the RC. The green LED on the front left of the TiVo flashes as long as the TiVo is plugged in and when I cycle power it starts flashing immediately.

This is all old school mid-2000s connections. Output from the TiVo box is via a A/V triple RCA cable (red & white stereo sound, yellow for video). That goes into adapter that converts to COAX video which goes into the TV.

Is this TiVo dead or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  3. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    What channel is the tv tuned?

4. MikeA01730

MikeA01730 New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Diane, no HDMI on the TiVo or TV. The only other TiVo outputs are S-Video and component, and I don't have anything else I can haul up to my office that has either of them. I'm assuming replace the capacitors means taking the TiVo apart, finding out what capacitors you're talking about, getting replacements, and doing some desoldering and soldering to install the new ones. There was I time I would have done that but now I think I'll just buy a TiVo Mini to connect to my Roamio.

Teeps, the TV is tuned to channel 3.

I'm guessing a TiVo this old has no significant value at this time, right?

Thanks,
    Mike

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Then this is not a Series 3.

Look on the back label, next to the fan. What numbers follow TCD?

dianebrat likes this.
  6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You'll need an older mini to connect to your CRT and additional composite breakout cables. The new mini vox doesn't have analog output. You also need an Ethernet or moca connection at your TV and a POE filter at your splitter. The mini will need to allocate a tuner from the roamio for you to watch live tv.

7. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    My first check would be to make sure your Composite-to-RF Adapter was functioning properly. Try a different video source through it? Verify it's output Channel?

-KP

shwru980r likes this.
  8. MikeA01730

MikeA01730 New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Diane, the numbers on the panel are "TCD652160". I thought it was a Series 3 but we've had 4 TiVos so I could easily have that wrong.

Shwru980r, thanks for the info on the new TiVo Minis. I'd get a new Mini and replace the CRT TV with a new flat screen. It's only 13" so not much extra cost. Also I already have MOCA signal on the COAX because my Verizon router has it built-in and I also have an Ethernet switch at my desk beside the TV so I think I'm ok.

kpeters59, good idea. I'll see if I can figure a way to test if it's working, but I don't know if I have anything else stuck away that uses composite RCA or COAX RF connections.

Thanks,
    Mike

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    @MikeA01730 You keep saying that's the model number and it's an S3, but then you say it doesn't have an HDMI port, so that means it can't be an S3 and the model number can't be accurate.
    The reason I suggested testing it with an HDMI cable to a DIFFERENT TV that has HDMI is to cut out all the other variables.
    But in all likelihood, if it's an S3 TivoHD or an S3 OLED display, they both would need capacitors at this point in time.