Is my TiVo on the way out?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tracktime, Aug 23, 2011.

1. tracktime

tracktime New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I have a series 3 HD with the approved WD 500 GB hard drive. Both units are about 3 1/2 years old. It uses Time Warner supplied Scientific Atlanta cable card. Currently the Tuning Adapter is not connected.

I'm finding screen refreshes can become very slow and finally the system locks up. Rebooting both the TiVo and external drive seem to make everything happy for a several days. More commonly with the HD chanels if something is scheduled to be recorded more often than not it will only record a portion of the show. Also more so on HD the screen and audio will slow and become garbled.

Any ideas? Do the drives require a defrag after this long?

Alan

2. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    HD failure is the likely culprit and it is most likely the extender. You can run the kickstarts to be sure, but you may want to just consider replacing the internal drive with a new 1tb drive.

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Double check the esata cable and connections to make sure they are secure. If you happen to have another esata cable, try it.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If it's a TiVo HD (Model 652, also a "Series 3") you can install a 2TB drive for only a few bucks more than 1 TB.

5. tracktime

tracktime New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. So if it's not the cable is the opinion it is the hard drive (s)?

Another symptom is that the box has been rebooting itself and more often than not I get a white screen when its done. Last night I disconnected everything and restarted. Has been fine for at least a few hours after.

Alan

6. tracktime

tracktime New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I didn't understand what the kickstart was about. Will run that next. Thanks. But please let me know if the other symptoms are consistent with another problem.

7. mmcgown

mmcgown New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Austin TX
    I have the same equipment and had a similar situation, though in my case the external WD drive was chattering incessantly. Finally, the TiVo locked up before I could resolve the problem, and even the kickstart 57 only resolved the situation briefly.

My solution, painfully, was to disconnect the WD and let the TiVo restart without the external drive. Though I lost most of the shows I had saved, the TiVo is now working better than ever.

Though I'm sure the engineers in the crowd could explain the highly technical reasons for storing content across two drives, thus ensuring loss of almost everything if either drive fails, as a consumer, I always thought it was a dumb approach.

In the end, I've learned that I don't need the external drive after all. There's not much on these days worth recording.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    He He! It's a special TiVo invention called "DIAR". (That's RAID spelled backwards. It works the opposite of RAID arrays, using multiple drives to reduce data reliability instead of increase it.)