Is My TiVo Calling Home?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by frickn, Mar 14, 2006.

1. frickn

frickn New Member

Mar 3, 2006
    I have a patched both of my dtivos. I have MRV and HMO setup on both. The HDs were upgraded via MFS Tools before I knew about the additional things that I could do with my boxes. I have applied the superpatch67all to open up my functions that I now have. I use DSL and do not have a router as the DSL modem is acting as a router and I have all of my devices plugged into an unmanaged switch. All devices in the home that are on the network are given their IP address from the DSL modem. I don't have a hardware firewall, just zonealarm on my PCs to keep unwanted traffic from going in & out. What I have read is that the TiVo boxes can call home via the internet if not blocked. With this type of setup are my boxes talking to the TiVo servers? I pulled my phone lines after the upgrades to prevent the boxes from phoning home via that method. I have not applied any additional scripts either such as zipper or the enhancement script. I tried to setup my linksys router when I first setup DSL but it did not work. Do I need to try and get a hardware firewall in front of these boxes if they are talking to the servers?

Thanks

Frickn'

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, they are. You need to add the required "route" commands to the rc.sysinit to prevent that. The "other forum" has the details as to how to do this.

3. frickn

frickn New Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Thanks for the reply. I will do some reading on the other forum to block this. Would the fact that they are talking to home tag the boxes with an expiration tag of 90 days?