Is my S3 dying?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ThePennyDropped, Sep 28, 2007.

1. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I'm worrying prematurely, but I thought I'd run this by you folks anyway.

Last night, I was watching a previously recorded show, and the screen froze. I assumed it was a Comcast or Fox problem that would resolve itself in a few seconds. But to my surprise, after a few seconds of that, my (4 month old) S3 rebooted itself. It seemed to come up okay after that, although it did run through an "acquiring channels" (unsure of the exact wording) phase, which had me concerned that it had lost all my Season Passes and stuff.

When it finished rebooting, everything seemed to be fine -- nothing lost. It resumed recording the two shows it had previously been recording. I went back to watch that same previously recorded show I'd been watching earlier, and at the same exact point, the screen froze. I was sure my S3 was about to die or spontaneously combust or something, but this time, after 10 or so seconds, it resumed playing normally.

My question for you knowledgeable folks is, is my S3 about to die? Do I have a bad section on the hard disk? Should I set that show with the frozen section during which the reboot occurred to be Keep Until I Delete, so that part of the disk is never used again? Am I panicking over nothing?

Thanks for your advice,
    Debbie

2. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    My Mom's S3 is doing something similar, and I am pretty sure it's a hard drive issue. It will freeze during a recorded show, and it is unresponsive to the remote. We just wait, and it eventually comes back.

Her's is just under a year old. She called TiVo, and they'll replace her unit for $50. I think the replacement would be free if it was under three months.

She could either send her's in, they would diagnose, and most likely just send her a replacement unit. Or, if she paid a deposit (cost of a new S3), they'd send her a replacement right away, then remove the deposit when they get her original unit.

She did the latter.

I have three of these units, and mine have had no problems. I guess sometimes a bad hard drive slips through now and again.

3. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I saw that behavior on an OTA broadcast a few weeks ago. I was watching and suddenly - implosion. Tivo rebooted spontaneiously. After reboot I went back to that station and the same thing happened within seconds. And a third time.

I decided to ERASE that recording and have had no further problems. Someone mentioned that BAD DATA or some identifier for that channel recording can sometimes have that impact and that it was NOT necessarily the harddrive.

Again, it has not recurred. (fingers crossed)

4. ThePennyDropped

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    Thank you both for the information. I guess I'll hope my problem is more like Fred2's, and not a hard disk defect. Why do these things always happen just after the 3 month warranty runs out? ;)

--Debbie

5. rcr2

rcr2 It's you, not me.

Feb 3, 2007
    Monmouth...

Advertisements

There was a rash of problems all at the same time a short time ago. I captured the multiple threads in this post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=359565

When pressed, they relented and did not charge me the $50. All I paid for was shipping. Getting my cable cards re-synched with the new Host ID's proved to be more of an issue, with Comcast being complete idiots for about 2 weeks until they figured out all they needed to do was change the host ID's under the entries.

All seems fine now.

6. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I guess I would suggest pushing the envelope a bit. Try recording on both channels as much as possible while watching a recording and see if it holds up.

Also, if you use the 30 second skip feature, you can tell if the unit reboots in your absence since the 30 second skip will disappear until manually set again.

Good luck

7. ThePennyDropped

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    That's a great idea. Thanks for the tip!

--Debbie