Is my Roamio(TE3) dying or is it something else?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by chrishicks, Jun 20, 2020.

1. chrishicks

chrishicks Tivo Junkie

Dec 30, 2003
    MI
    I have a Pro with TE3 that started "turning off" a few days ago sometime after turning off the TV/receiver. It will still have the green power light on during this but when I turn on the TV again it will start at the Welcome screen and then go through the reboot process. No shows record during this time and the Tivo reports it as a power outage. I didn't notice the power light the first time but I did tonight because I was supposed to be recording something and noticed the red light wasn't on before turning on the TV while the green was. When the TV powered up the Tivo was at the Welcome screen and after it was up and running it started recording.

I have been using CEC/ARC(for the built-in apps) since getting a new TV a little over a week ago and it has been fine up until 2 days ago(today is the second time it happened in a row). I did add a new Nvidia Shield TV(2019 version) the day before this started but I also had an old 2015 version before getting the new one. I want to say it is related to this but why would it work with the 2015 but not the 2019 version. Does CEC even mess with the Roamio?

I have as of the time of this post turned off all CEC/ARC on the TV and everywhere else to see if it could be related but since I have no idea just when the "power off" takes place I have no real way of testing until the next time I go to bed and turn off the TV for 5+ hours which is why I figured I would ask about this here now.

I will also note that the Tivo seems to be fine otherwise when it's on and in use(someone watching TV). Does this sound like some kind of CEC issue or could my Tivo be going and this is all just a coincidence?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I think you need a UPS to protect it for even the shortest blackout, brownout, surges and even the slight interruption such as when the power Co switches lines.

Even the smallest power variation can cause the Tivo to reboot on its own.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  3. chrishicks

chrishicks Tivo Junkie

Dec 30, 2003
    MI
    Thanks for the reply. I do have 2 UPS boxes powering my Tivo, TV, receiver and a few other things. The one the Tivo is connected to has a new battery I installed back in late Jan but it's possible it could be bad already. I can check that after my current recordings are done so I don't reboot the Tivo again if it is.

EDIT: I pulled the plug on the UPS for the Tivo and it kept on running so I don't think it's related to an actual power outage.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  4. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    It could very well be a CEC issue. That is a quirky technology that can be working fine for years and then suddenly go sideways on you.

When it works for you, it's a boon. But it's often just more trouble than it's worth.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I believe CEC only becomes a factor with TE4.

6. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, OP said that he is using CEC/ARC with TE3 so it is pertinent as a source to troubleshoot. ARC itself should be pretty trouble-free for the audio codecs it supports, but CEC can be problematic no matter what the setup. Even in the ideal scenario--using compatible A/V gear from the same manufacturer--it can sometimes go wonky.

Many components allow ARC without having to engage CEC; if OP needs ARC and his equipment allows it, he could try disabling CEC and see whether the issue still presents.

In most cases, you can get far more flexibility with a programmable universal remote without the irksome drawbacks of CEC. But I understand that there is often no ideal solution and not everyone wants to deal with another third-party device in their system, particularly one that requires programming.

7. chrishicks

chrishicks Tivo Junkie

Dec 30, 2003
    MI
    Let me add a bit more info to this. Here is my setup and more:

1. Denon X3600 receiver which had only ARC turned on [HDMI Control set to off] so I could use the built-in apps on my TV due to HDR10+/Dolby Vision with audio

2. Hisense 4K TV which had only the basic HDMI Control turned on to push ARC/CEC - I did not have auto power off/auto on turned on which are additional settings [the TV doesn't have separate settings for CEC and ARC from what I can tell. It looks like a one size fits all kind of thing. You have to turn on CEC so ARC works]

3. Various other equipment connected all through receiver - Xbox, PS4, Xfinity X1, Tivo, Fire TV Cube, Roku and the previously mentioned Nvidia Shield

4. Nvidia Shield was originally the 2015 version but was replaced a few days ago with the new 2019 version

5. The Fire TV Cube is only used for voice control to change inputs and only power on/off the TV/receiver/Xbox - with regards to Tivo it only switches to the receiver input for it and nothing else [this has been in use since Nov. 2018 and nothing has changed in the settings since 2018. My previous receiver was also a Denon and previous TV was a Hisense so I didn't have to adjust anything in the Cube after the upgrade. Everything still worked exactly the same with it because of them being the same equipment just newer versions]

6. Nvidia Shield(new one) did have CEC turned on out of the box but I turned it all off during setup because that's how I had it with the old one [I did notice while troubleshooting before making my initial post there was a setting for putting it to sleep and was set to 3 hours. Now I can't be certain but that 3 hour time may just line up with the "power outage" of the Tivo. I have since changed that setting to never put it to sleep to see if that may have been the cause]

7. CEC/ARC was solely intended to be used between the TV and receiver to pass audio[Dolby Atmos on Netflix for example] from the built-in apps on the TV but it seemed like it was affecting the Tivo but I'm just not sure. Maybe it was related to the sleep setting in #6. I wasn't sure if the Tivo with TE3 even had a form of CEC because it was never used before which is why I asked about it in my initial post.

8. Over the last 2 months I've replaced my receiver, my TV and the Shield. The receiver was first back on May 10th. No issues with that and the Tivo. The TV was 8 days ago. I turned on ARC/CEC to try out Dolby Vision on Netflix with the built-in app the day after I set it up after getting some sleep. Again no issues with the Tivo at this point. Just this past Wed. is when I got the new Shield and swapped it with the old one. The first day or so was fine with no issues. Then Friday night when I turned on the TV I was greeted with the welcome powering up screen. I just figured it was a fluke so I brushed it off. Then I noticed recordings from earlier in the day were missed. Looking at the history showed the power lost message. Same thing happened last night. The part that confused me though was that the green power light was on before I turned the TV/receiver on. Was it just sitting with power on the welcome screen for however many hours just waiting for me to turn it on so it could finally start rebooting? That was what made me wonder just what was going on.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020