Is my Roamio Pro dead?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by LoadStar, Jul 18, 2020.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

Symptoms: when plugged into AC power...
    - the lights on the network port both light up even with no network cable plugged in
    - Fan doesn't spin
    - Hard drive doesn't spin
    - No lights on front panel
    - Nothing showing on TV
    - Faint "chattering" sound coming from under one of the heatsinks (assuming it's the main processor)
    - Power supply producing steady +12V when checked with multimeter

I'm assuming she's dead... am I right?

If the power supply is producing +12V, there's probably no point to try replacing the power supply, is there?

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Yes there is. I have found that the vast majority of bad wall-wart power supplies that have gone bad usually DO show the correct no-load voltage when checked with a meter. The problem is that they can no longer provide the required voltage or current when under load.

If you have multiple different devices in your house (like routers, switches, external hard drives, etc.), check out the power supplies for each one - you may find one that you can use to test the TiVo without actually buying a new power supply first.

3. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Roamio Pro (and Plus) has an internal PS, not a wall wart.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    True, but at least for diagnostic purposes, if I can find a 12V power supply capable of at least 4.74A, I can rig something up. I'll have to do some digging at work in my "island of misfit power supplies."

5. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

Thanx for that info - that certainly makes it more difficult to do a quick test and/or repair.

Since I do not have a Roamio Pro, it was just too easy to simply assume it was the same as the others.

KENL likes this.