Is My New Tivo HD Failing Already?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sw10025, Nov 29, 2011.

1. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Hi, I just installed new 1 TB hard drives in both of my Series2 Tivos, and I think one of them is failing or has already failed. I can't believe it. Can anyone tell me if my suspicions are correct?

The first thing I noticed was that while the first unit remained relatively quiet, the second unit started making a loud grinding noise. Like a really loud noise. A "I can hear it over a room full of electronic appliances" noise. I unplugged it to see if anything was loose, and after inspecting it and finding nothing loose, I plugged it back in, and now it isn't booting properly. It started bringing up the orange booting screen, but kept flashing back and forth to the channel the satellite receiver is on and the booting screen. It finally thought it had "booted" and is not flashing between the TV channel and the green "Tivo Central" screen, won't accept remote control commands, just keeps flashing between TV channel and green screen. Tried unplugging and rebooting again, same results.

Am I correct about the problem?

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, no guarantees, but it's a moderately good bet the drive has crashed and burned. The grinding noise is a very string signifier, since the only things that move in the TiVo are the drive and the fan. It does sound olike t he drive has failed. It happens. Take the drive out of the TiVo and attach it to an external PC. Don't mount it in Windows, but see if it is recognized. Run WinMFS, and see if it can pull info off the drive. If not, it's toast. It should be under warranty, if it is that new.

3. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    I have an external drive, but I don't have the faintest idea how to do what you've said to do...

4. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Run kickstart 54 on the failing TiVo, see what that says, if it doesnt finnish or wont start its most likely a drive. If the noise is coming from the inside the TiVo your screwed in that your gonna have to replace that drive. If the noise is coming from the external drive and or the external fails the kickstart, unplug the external drive and see if the TiVo boots and runs. If it does and the external drive is under warranty send it back for a replacement.
    If the internal drive is bad you can pick up a new one from ebay from drv_dude or one from weaKnees. It sucks but defects happen. I had an External My DVR Expander that crapped out about 20 months in. I got a new 2TB Internal HDD from DVR_Dude, im about to buy another for my TiVo HD and retask my remaining external HDD.

Good Luck

5. sw10025

sw10025 Active Member

May 16, 2000
    Los...
    Actually, I just bought this HD from DVR_Dude, I've had it less than a month, so I've contacted him to ask what I should do. Oddly enough, I unplugged the Tivo again for a more extended period of time this time, and it appears to be booting up properly this time, so I'm hoping I can at least retrieve the programs from the HD before returning it.

As for what you suggested doing, I'm afraid I don't understand any of that either. Haven't a clue how to do it. Sure wish I hadn't gotten the flu and bronchitis the second week of that computer repair class I was taking... :(

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    If you got it from a third party, just deal with them to get a replacement.

As for the excellent tools mentioned, try searching or reviewing the stickies (which are a bit dated but still excellent resources) and the upgrade forums.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Suspect your power supply's capacitors.