Is my new TiVo HD Defective?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ChrisFix, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1 of 11
    ChrisFix

ChrisFix Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

Advertisements

I'm a first time TiVo user, bought a TiVo HD on Tuesday. Currently hooked to cable with Cable Card install scheduled on Sunday (TWC).

So far, my experience has been more frustrating than Windoze...which I know isn't what it is supposed to be.

Problems I'm seeing...

- Unit will go un-responsive...either drops to a black screen while watching something or just freezes...this has happened just a couple of times so far

- Rebooting (by unplugging) will result in about a 50% success rate that it actually restarts...it will hang at various places and never restart about half of the time - requiring another power cycle.

- I've connected directly to my LAN using the ethernet port on the unit. Upon initial guided setup, everything went fine, it connected to TiVo and was successful. That was the last successful connection. The connection now fails everytime with either "No DHCP Server" or "No Gateway Found" errors...although I see it connected to my Router and it pulls the reserved DHCP IP that I've assigned it. My Xbox 360 works fine on this same switch for the past year, and I've connected my laptop to the cable/switch port that the TiVo is connected to with no issues.

I'm waiting for TiVo support to open and will call them, but would like to get any feedback you may have on if there is some reset that needs to be done or if this particular box is just garbage.

Thanks!

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 11
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Are you certain the Tivo software hung on reboot? Sometimes reboots can take pretty darn long, especially if the box is running disk tests. I assume at some point you've run a disk check on your PC.

Try assigning the Tivo a static IP address in custom network setup. Some very old routers and/or custom firmwares apparently use a non-standard DHCP server that isn't compatible. Some have got around that by assigning an IP address.

If you can get a network working, force a connection on the Settings -> Network screen so the Tivo will update to the newest version of the Tivo software. If that doesn't fix your issues, then yes, your Tivo is probably defective.

3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 11
    ChrisFix

ChrisFix Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My router is pretty new...Zyxel X-550 (Mimo G with Ubicom QoS)...with latest firmware. The connection was established during initial Guided Setup, but now the Ethernet activity light on the TiVo just flashes steadily as soon as I plug a cable into it...

I've assigned an IP using DHCP reservation, but maybe it does need an assigned IP to avoid the DHCP server all together. Still, the curious thing is if that is true, it shouldn't have connected initially.

4. Aug 2, 2007 #4 of 11
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I assume you've double-checked the ethernet cable connection on the router and TivoHD. And I assume you've disabled the "Network filter" option on the Zyxel router?

If assigning an IP on the Tivo doesn't work, I would do a "Clear and Delete" to set the unit back to the original defaults (this is time consuming, be patient). Then try the network update again to see if it will grab the new v8.1.7b software update, which you are going to need for the Scientific Atlanta CableCards supplied by Time Warner.

If none of that works, I would return it for a new one.

5. Aug 2, 2007 #5 of 11
    ChrisFix

ChrisFix Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC

Advertisements

Thanks for your reply...
    I've checked the cable and actual connection being used with my laptop, and it comes right up. Is "Network Filter" NAT Endpoint Filtering? I have TCP Endpoint Filtering set to Port and Address Restricted (default setting).

I re-ran Guided Setup, and it is connected again...after that completed I forced a connection and it is downloading now. I was trying to avoid a Clear and Delete, but will do that next if I keep having this flakiness.

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 11
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Your router uses a modified version of firmware from Ubicom. I was referring to the MAC address filtering, typically found under the Advanced -> Network Filter option. You clearly don't have that enabled since the Tivo was able to connect. Some people enable that feature for added security but then forget to disable it when they add a new network device.

Let us know how it goes.

7. Aug 2, 2007 #7 of 11
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I was going to suggest the clear and delete everything. :)
    it sounds like there was some setup flakiness on first guided setup for sure. The ethernet problems could account for the other symptoms as the TiVo box gets hung on a network operation.

I would watch the box closely and make a call to replace it if this does not clear soon as it could well be an hardware issue if if does not clear up

8. Aug 2, 2007 #8 of 11
    angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    Can someone tell me what happens if you activate your tivohd and its defective. Can you transfer the service to a new box??? Is it free??

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 11
    ChrisFix

ChrisFix Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    It does seem to be behaving better after the second setup...but I will watch it closely to see if I need to return it during the first 30 days...

It did successfully update to the "b" software after I forced a connect...so that's a good sign.

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    there is a 30 day return policy for hardware and service. Return the TiVo where you bought it. if from Tivo they typically do a swap and just transfer the service.

if from a store then you can eitehr online swap in the new TSN or at worse call Tivo and get the new TSN active on your service.

in the first 30 days there should be no fees involved unless it is shipping or something like that

11. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY

Thank you :up: