Is My Name is Earl Going Downhill?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by danielhart, Jan 23, 2006.

Is My Name is Earl Going Downhill?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2006.
  1. Yes- definitely not as funny as it was

21 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. No- it's about the same

95 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. No- it's funnier than ever

48 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. I always thought it sucked

11 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. I don't watch the show

7 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. danielhart

danielhart Nerp Nerp

Apr 27, 2004

Advertisements

This has been my favorite new show - but both my wife and I have been underwhelmed since the move to Thursday nights. What do you other Earl watchers think?

2. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Tivomaniac

Jan 25, 2002
    Greensboro, NC
    I don't know that a couple of eps that aren't as funny means the show is going downhill, but I do agree that the last couple of eps haven't been that amusing.

3. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I tried watching the first couple shows but didn't find them all that funny. Tried again around xmas (maybe it was repeat? no idea) due to all the hype and it still just left me cold. I don't think the show is bad; I just don't laugh at it. When I watch a comedy, I want it to make me laugh out loud at least occassionally; Earl doesn't do it for me. But that's OK.

4. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    I love it.

5. abobrow

abobrow New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

I felt this way from the beginning - that it's destined to go downhill because they're stuck with that very limited framing device. If one episode of a sitcom were about a character trying to fix his karma that would be interesting. But if every episode is about that damn list it's destined to start feeling formulaic.

6. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    The latest episode was the funniest in the series so far. So no, definitely not going downhill.

7. stivovance

stivovance New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    I've noticed the same thing, prior to Thurs, it was very funny, since the move, not as funny. It still is a funny show, but not as great as it was.

8. TBDigital

TBDigital B. Meisterburger

Mar 14, 2002
    Kingwood, Tx
    I dunno...I keep seeing Crab Man bite into that hotdog, finding the toe, and freaking out like a little girl. This show consistantly makes me lol.

9. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    OMG, an episode or two you don't like, and you think the show's going downhill? Puhleeze. Are you a FOX executive?

10. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    I thought the 1/19 episode was great. I'm not expecting finely crafted comedic genius out of this show. A few good (intelligent) jokes and some good slapstick is all I ask for.

11. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    During the current episode (about the hot dog stand), my wife and I laughed until we cried. No, it hasn't gone downhill. Its freakin' hilarious. I don't know how long it will last, but right now its funny as heck.

12. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    I thought the last two episodes were a little weaker than the ones before them, but I don't think that means anything about "going downhill", just that it happens to be a few weaker ones after a few stronger ones. I don't even know if we're seeing them in production order, after all.

13. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    Earl has been renewed for a second season. However, filming has been shut down for a couple of weeks because Jason Lee has the chicken pox.

14. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Best new show of the year, bar none.

15. kiljoy

kiljoy Active Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The one with Jon Favreau is probably my second favorite after the pilot. OTOH, I do feel a general decline in quality as the show has moved on. The one with Brett Butler was horrible, IMO. I think it's more that I'm acquainted with the show and therefore less surprised. It's easily the best new show of the year and I'm sure with a while to think about it over the off-season, it will get a bit better in season 2.

Tony

16. dsb411

dsb411 Member

Sep 29, 2004
    North...
    Oh C'mon, seeing Crabman doin the Rubberbandman thing with the office supply cart was freakin hi-larious! :) :up: :)

17. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Maybe some folks don't find it funny because there is no laugh track. If the show doesn't explicitly tell them where a joke has been inserted and a laugh is now required, then it leaves them cold.

Just a theory I happen to agree with... :eek:

18. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    They've had a weak episode or three, but all in all, it's still one of the best comedies on tv - must see tv for me...at least for now.

still not as good as the office, which is consistently LOL funny.

19. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I think it's as good as it ever was. I love it and still watch same-night every week.

20. bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Consistently good, maybe getting better. The last few episodes have been great. Randy's a hoot.