Is my issue with Tivo Roamio or my AV receiver?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by marklyn, Feb 3, 2020.

1. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin

Advertisements

I have a Tivo (Roamio) and a Yamaha RX-V673 AV receiver. The Roamio is connected to my Yamaha input HDMI1 port. My RX-V673 output is connected to my Sony Bravia (XBR-65X850E) via it's HDMI3 (ARC).
    Most of the time when I turn on the TV/Yamaha (Tivo is always on), the picture comes up, audio good, etc.
    About 25% of the time though everything turns on but there is no picture/video on the TV and the Yamaha display says "Decoder off".
    All I need to do to temporarily "fix" this is to move the channel up or down, or just tune to any channel and the Decoder off goes away and there is now sound and video (until the issue happens again, usually days later)
    I have tried some of the Yamaha sound buttons but nothing works until I move the TV channel.
    Again, this only happens infrequently but if I try to recreate the problem and turn off/on everything 10 times (or more) in a row, it won't do it. It's always a few days before it happens again.
    My HDMI cables are cables recommended by Tivo (definitely not bargain basement cables!) Assuming they are higher quality due to higher cost and place that specializes in cables and I've tried other HDMI cables in the past. I've also tried other input HDMI ports on my Yamaha, no change.
    I don't know where to start with troubleshooting but would appreciate some things I should check regarding settings,etc.
    I've lived with this issue for a couple of years now and gotten used to it but decided to try again to chase down the issue.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I use my TE3 Roamio connected to a Yamaha RX-V867 (older model). Every morning I hit TV power for the Sony W600B and Scene TV for the AVR. No problems ever.

I have a Mini VOX running TE4 connected to a Sony TV (EX700 - much older). Most of the time I have to hit channel up or down to get a picture.

I have an A93 Mini connected to the same TV and every night I hit TV Power and Live TV. No problems.

I concluded long ago it's a bug in TE4. I never use ARC or CEC.

3. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I'm not sure I understand TE3 vs TE4... sorry been out of the loop for a couple years on TivoCommunity forums... How can I tell which I have?

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Hit the TiVo button.
    You see TiVo central with TE3
    You see Home with TE4

5. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin

Advertisements

Oh, ok, then I have TE3 on my Roamio. So I have the issue on my TE3 where yours is on your TE4.
    I was hoping this was some obscure setting somewhere.
    I also thought maybe I'm turning on stuff in the wrong order but then why would it work most of the time and sometimes not.
    My only theory at this point is that maybe if I'm not watching the living room TV (Roamio) for a few days and using the 3 mini's, maybe they're grabbing a tuner and not leaving one for the Roamio at the time I'm going to use it. Don't know what else to think... I don't want to switch out a new AV system just to find out though.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  7. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I had mine set to 1080p because the Yamaha display information would not show up on the TV if I had it set to 1080i.I forget the technical reason why the display information would not show up under 1080i.

8. marklyn

marklyn Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    By the way did you have that problem, and it making those settings change fix your problem?

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry, I have never had any problems with my V867. I have all rear 5 inputs used. Only problem is that the new series takes away features. I'm still 1080p also. I have a TE4 Roamio connected. It says my TV wants 1080p. My TE3 Roamio says my TV wants 1080i. That's the "Preferred:" setting.