Is my HR10-250 failing?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by lightguy48, Apr 29, 2007.

1. lightguy48

lightguy48 New Member

May 17, 2004
    Waco, TX

Advertisements

I've got an HR10-250 that over the last week has started randomly pausing during playback of live TV and recorded programs. When this happens the unit will not respond to the remote control (even though the LED on the front turns amber as I press buttons).

After about 30 sec - 1 min of this the unit will reboot.

Now a new issue has crept up, over the last few days the unit has begun totally locking up, I will turn the TV on to find a black screen and nothing will wake the unit up other than cycling the power to the unit.

However, I'm not 100% sure it was locked up, when I checked the system information it showed the unit made a daily call this morning at 3am, yet according to my to do list recordings were missed because the 'power was off'. When I checked the unit it had the black screen and would not 'wake up'.

I pulled the hard drive and ran both Western Digital's 'Short Test' and 'Extended Test' and neither detected any errors on the hard drive.

Any suggestions? The unit is running 6.3d and has some of the same To Do list schedules dating back to the 3.x software. Do I need to wipe/initialize the unit?

I'm stumped, I hope the board/PS isn't dying.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Since the hard drive diagnostics didn't show anything wrong, my next step would be the clear settings option (not the extreme clear & delete everything option). Failing that, then try the clear everything option. Failing that, replace the hard drive.

3. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    Check whether your cable company has added any new channels that your box can't receive.

I had similar problems until I went into the Channel List and un-selected all of the on demand channels.

4. The Vision

The Vision New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    This doesn't answer the freeze up question. My sd tivo dvr is doing the same thing. I have switched all vital recording to another tivo and I am trying to watch my archived programs before the machine quits for good.
    I don't seem to have a problem during live viewing but anything on the To Do List freezes and stutters during playback. My HD DVR TiVO is working fine.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

The OP has an HR10, therefore, no cable company is involved.

6. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    I know it is an extreme answer for some, depending on how much you have in now showing, but Clear and Delete Everything was a cure all for similar problems for me.

IF you have a lot of recorded show, I would suggest first trying Clear and delete program data and to do list. This has worked for quite a few people and you will not lose your recorded shows, but you will have to renter your season passes.

7. RDJR

RDJR New Member

Mar 27, 2001
    FL, US
    Had a similar problem, did the clear and delete everything and it is now stuck there. Been about 36 hours now. Is there any hope?
    Thinking not, I went out and bought a HR20-700 Saturday. Not a TiVo but not as bad as I thought either.

8. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    One thing to keep in mind before doing a clear and delete, is from a diagnostic standpoint, you can accomplish the same thing by imaging to a spare drive and testing with that drive. If that solves the problem, that indicates the cause to be software and/or hard drive issues. Recent instantcake versions will install on drives smaller than the original 250gb, so the test drive doesn't have to be huge, it just needs to be verified to be functional.

I believe, typically, a hung C&DE indicates a failing/failed disk.

9. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    As long as it doesn't get into a reboot loop, there is hope indeed. If you get the reboot loop, that's not good, but there are kick-start codes that can help (on wiki).

I recommend watching or dubbing off whatever you can before doing a C&D, as it may be the last chance for those recordings.

10. RDJR

RDJR New Member

Mar 27, 2001
    FL, US
    Not really concerned about saving programs, would just like the unit to work again. I did have the reboot loop, before doing the clear and delete.

11. jdec141

jdec141 New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    my hr10-250 is doing the same thing. it started about two weeks ago and is really a pain. it was on 6.3c when it started and has now moved to 6.3d and is still at it. I don't want to do a clear all b/c I'm afraid it will lock up in the middle. It frequently reboots during recordings especially on Tues nights .

12. Talsin

Talsin New Member

Mar 4, 2002
    I had the same problem with reboots, mostly when on an off-air HD channel. I tried the clear and delete but it appeared to have gotten locked up during that process. I left it doing that for almost a 24 hour period without any noticeable progress. As a last chance effort before buying a replacement drive I put it in my PC and let Spinrite have a look at it at level 2. Spinrite found a few problem sectors and took about 2 hours to complete, this is the original 250GB drive BTW. I put the drive back in the Tivo and it has been running fine ever since. No reboots, glitches or anything. I would say if you are still having problems find a techie friend with a copy of Spinrite or buy a copy from GRC.com it is a great utility to have anyway.

Curt

13. ScottP461

ScottP461 Member

Sep 3, 2005
    I just replaced the drives on my HDVR2 for the same failure, except that it started freezing during playback and stopped responding to any commands within minutes. WeaKnees replaced the drives, but attempts to transfer the content failed. Your problem sounds less extreme, but the drives are starting to go bad.

Watch or record what you need to and replace the drive(s) before they crash. A stop gap, if you can isolate a bad recording (one that stopped and rebooted), save that recording and you MAY avoid the bad drive area being recorded on again.

If problems keeps occurring and/or the frequency of the problems increase, then your drive(s) are going down for the count and it's time to replace them.

14. lightguy48

lightguy48 New Member

May 17, 2004
    Waco, TX
    Ok, got another question for the group. The unit finally failed to the point that it always hung on the DirecTV logo with 'Just a few more minutes...'

I swapped the drive and ran InstantCake HR10-250 6.3d on a new WD 320GB drive.

The unit is working but I'm noticing some odd behavior on it.

It seems to be locking up occasionally and even rebooting occasionally.

Here is when it has happened:

Incident #1, went to tune to 502 from the guide, the picture went grey but the guide remained up, the unit became unresponsive, including no indication of remote reception. Had to pull the power to get the unit running again.

Incident #2, went to record a program we were watching because we had to leave the house, hit record, unit said please wait, it took forever, then it rebooted.

Incident #3, today I was tuned to a DirecTV channel and storms came in and it went to Searching for Signal due to rain fade. At some point while I was tuned away the unit locked up.

Ideas? Suggestions? Overall the unit is not acting like it was before, we're going days without incidents, but whenever we try to do certain unrelated items it either seems to reboot or lockup.