Is MRV streaming or copying?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by rlcarr, Dec 10, 2006.

1. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    If you use MRV to watch on box B something recorded on box A, do you end up with an independent copy on box B that survives being deleted off A, can be viewed from A in the future, can be TTG'd to a PC, etc.?
    ?

2. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    It is a copy, but you can start watching it while it copies. So when it is done you have a copy on A and B.

3. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Thank you!

4. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    I use the term Streamloading because it copies (downloads) and you can watch it while it is streaming (downloading); the streaming aspect is not true streaming because you can't jump ahead of the download process like a true stream.

PS: Wonder if Cable Labs calls MRV "Stealing." :rolleyes:

5. lawilson2

lawilson2 New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Chicago

lol... I can't comprehend why they would consider it "stealing" from yourself. :confused: They have issues..

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Its not whether MRV is stealing or not, as some providers provide some sort of trasnfers, I understand, so it cannot be trasnfers in itself that concerns them. Their problem, if any, is that TiVo's trasnfer mechansims are unkown to them, so they have to analyse its security and controls to see if it passes CableLabs requirements, before they allow TiVo to enable it on the Series 3.

7. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Well, there were challenges to VCRs as creating copyright violations. Same potential problem here--you can record it once, but can you start shooting it around your house? Goofy argument, I know, but that's the concern. The real issue is not just shooting it around your house, but rather all over the internet.