is MoCA required for cablecard tuning?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bobjunga, May 8, 2020.

1. bobjunga

bobjunga New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I am changing from a long time cablevision/optimum setup to a verizon/FIOS setup. I have had Tivo from the start in circa 2000.

With optimum I have no STB and two Tivos (a series 3 and an XL4) with cablecards. Each Tivo has ethernet and coax from optimum. The XL4 has one cablecard and the series 3 has two. I use an HDMI matrix so that any TV in the house can watch either Tivo.

The FIOS was just installed and I still have optimum while I switch over. I have switched over my home data network to use the new FIOS uplink and that is fine but my Tivos are still connected to the old optimum service.. Verizon messed p the order so the installer had a STB but no cablecards and we only tested the STB during the install and did not touch the Tivos.

Question 1. If I just switch the coax plugged into the tivos from the optimum feed to the coax feed coming from the FIOS ONT, should I expect it to work? Do the cablecards IDs need to be provisioned on the the FIOS network?

Question 2: Should I expect the cardcards I already have (using with optimum) to be compatible with FIOS, or do I need to rent new cablecards from FIOS?

Question 3: Since I have Ethernet connected to the Tivos already and will not use any STB, do I need the verizon MoCA bridge? Without MoCA, will the tivos be able to tune to any channel that I subscribe to?

Thanks,

--BobG

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    1. No. Yes
    2. No, Yes
    3. No. Yes

kpeters59 likes this.
  3. bobjunga

bobjunga New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    I want to understand but I do not understand what you mean.

--BobG

4. bobjunga

bobjunga New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Ok, it took me a minute but those are exactly the answers to my questions. Thanks.

--BobG

mdavej likes this.