Is Michael Weatherly next?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by brianric, Dec 14, 2018.

1. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
  2. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The evidence would suggest that for decades CBS did everything they could to sweep stuff like this under the rug. I'm glad it's all finally coming to the surface. It will be interesting to see how bad the fallout is for Weatherly.

Here's the thing I don't get. I would assume these types of settlements must include some type of strongly enforced non-disclosure agreement. How do the victims later come forward if they are bound by the terms of the NDA?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  3. brianric

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    It came out during the independent investigation of Leslie Moonves.

4. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Who is Michael Weatherly?

5. brianric

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ

Advertisements

Does Dr Jason Bull or Tony DiNozzo ring a bell?

6. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Too bad TV stars don't have a slush fund of taxpayer money to buy these women off like Congress does. ;)

lalouque and dlfl like this.
  7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    If it means anything, this wasn't "swept under the rug"--she objected, the matter went to mediation, and there was a settlement for big bucks in her favor. The only thing under the rug was the non-publicizing of these events, standard practice for most settlements of whatever type.

8. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Oh, the guy on Bull. I rarely know the names of people on shows I don’t watch that often. Or, even ones I watch frequently.

9. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    The Law Firms investigation was 'leaked' to the NYT.
    When contacted by the NYT, she had 'no comment'

Also, it wasn't what was said to her that was the real issue regarding the settlement, it was that it appeared that her part on the show was not developed as discussed (after she filed a complaint), and her character was written off the show.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Mikeguy and Rob Helmerichs like this.
  10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, it sounds like the problem wasn't so much what Weatherley did (which really wasn't THAT bad; he was a jerk, but not in the league of other people who have been #metoo'd) as how CBS responded to Dushku's complaint (basically, firing her for complaining).

dianebrat likes this.
  11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    simultaneously yikes and "heh heh".

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And that's the question: was she retaliated against for noting the issue, or was it a creative issue where there just was no future for her role? Regardless, CBS was left holding the bag, and paying through the nose. (Hmm, I wonder: does her agent get a cut of the settlement, as it was based on how much she would have earned had she been retained on the show for x number of seasons?)

13. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    She was going to be a series regular the next season, so firing her wasn’t a creative decision.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    To elaborate, she was a guest star (three episodes, I think) who was promoted to series regular because they liked her so much. So despite their protestations, the sequence of events (and the fact that they agreed to pay her everything she would have made had they not fired her, instead of some compromise amount) suggests there doesn't seem to be much doubt as to why she was fired.

15. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Well that's simply not true. Would it have meant that Eliza wasn't fired for the wrong reasons, if she was pressured by the industry and dropped the lawsuit ten years ago?

The standard for civil litigation is 50/50, not beyond a reasonable doubt like a criminal. In today's climate the publicity revolving around a jury trial combined with Weatherly's horrible comments were a bad starting position to begin a defense. CBS might have decided they would be losers either way, so it was best interest to settle for whatever she was asking, even if they knew for sure they fired her for the right reasons.

I'm not saying this how it came down, but with what's going on in the entertainment industry outside of this case, they might have decided to do whatever it took to clean this up and start fresh. Not the most likely, but a reasonable possibility.

16. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Went to CBS mediation, not trial, or even arbitration.

17. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
  18. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    This makes my point. Calling it mediation is a sham. What if Moonves ruled Eliza had no case? Would she have walked away and said "oh well." I doubt she was bound by the ruling. It was discovery and settlement. And they tried to squeeze some positive publicity for Moonves.

And realityboy's comments reflect society's view. CBS had no shot winning in court. I don't know the law, but they might have been even open to other damages that extended beyond her income.

There were undoubtedly hundreds of women wronged who never got a penny and were not heard from again. Their history effected this situation.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  19. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Well, no they didn’t. They kept it a secret and took the money from Bull’s production budget so it wouldn’t appear on the books.

Edit: Also just fyi, my opinion of Moonves has changed drastically from when this happened until now. The payout was back in January before his issues were so public.

20. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I've never seen Bull. Had I known that Eliza Dushku was going to be on it I probably would have watched it. I've always been a fan of hers ever since I saw her on Buffy.

LlamaLarry likes this.