is MFS Tools 3.2 still limited to only 8TB?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Johnny Danger, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016

Advertisements

is MFS Tools 3.2 still limited to only 8TB?

Now that we have 10TB, 12TB, 14TB and even 16TB hard drives.

It is about time that maybe the software be updates to include at least the 10TB also for those of up who technical skills do not exceed running the software to a hard drives connected to the PC?

I just found out that my 8TB Barracuda drive are the dreaded SMR but that the larger drives are all the normal CMR ones.

However it seem that the larger than 8TB drives are not the horrid SMR technology.
    CMR and SMR Hard Drives | Seagate US

What do we have to go in order to get the software to create larger than 8TB drives? It has been years and years. Can the developer of that software please throw us common folk a bone and give us at least ability to create non-SMR 10TB drives for the TIVO?

Pleeeeeease ??????????

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

2. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Are you looking at Premier units or Roamio and later units.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

3. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I am currently using a TIVO BOLT.

I also have a Roamio plus sort of in storage cause it was having issues.

Thanks.

4. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I don't mean to oversimplify things but why can't the programmers/developers simple release an updated software which formats the new hard drive taken into account the additional sectors of an 10,12,14,16 drives.

Why is 8TB the magic number that the software decided to stop at? I am guessing that 8TB was the largest HD available when the software first came out.

Thanks.

5. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009

Advertisements

If I was the programmer for the TiVo OS, I could fix that. In fact it looks like they fixed it for the Edge but decided not to pass it on to other TiVo units. So our current TiVo tools have to work around a bug in the TiVo OS to expand drives to level we have.

As an aside, this is not my full time job.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Thank you very much for explaining. I did not realize it was a bug in the TIVO OS software that was the limiting factor. This makes a lot more sense now.

I had an older readynas RAID system which could not accept any hard drive larger than 2TB because of some hardware limitation dealing with the architecture of the CPU or something like that.
    The newer ones came out fixing this and would accept the largest hard drive available at the time.

I know with my particular synology system, there is something like a 90TB volume limit however you can get around that by making multiple Volumes under 90TB although this is something their tech support advise people to do.

I don't know if a similar trick could be done by setting up smaller partitions in the TIVO OS environment.

Can you let us know if you have a theory on how it could be done and if so, is there an amount of money you would do it for perhaps by setting up a gofundme, kickstarter, patreon, donation button, etc... that would make it worth your while?

In any event, thank you for explaining why this is a complicated issue dealing with a TIVO OS bug.

7. Thom

Thom The Fatman's got his eye on you, kid

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Developing and quality control testing new software costs money. Since TiVo doesn't get any money when end-users upgrade their hard drives, it makes no sense for TiVo to migrate expanded software to obsolete boxes.

8. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    The max possible with the Roamio or Bolt is 20 TB if you start with an 8 TB MFSR formatted drive otherwise the limit is 16 TB with the current work arounds.