Is it worth switching from DT to HD DT?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dkahs23, Sep 10, 2007.

1. dkahs23

dkahs23 New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Palm Coast,...
    Is it worth it to switch from DT to HD-DT?

2. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Sure, if you have a HDTV.

3. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    yes it is, in my opinion.
    --
    Alan :D

4. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    It also depends on if you record a lot of stuff off of digital channels or not.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Or if you don't have an HDTV. One of my TiVo HDs is hooked up to a standard def tv. Being able to record digital OTA channels is a big benefit. Also, the quality of analog recordings is better on the THD than the S2DT.

6. dkahs23

dkahs23 New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Palm Coast,...
    Yeah I do record alot off of digital channels. just not the HD channels as there is not many yet.

7. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    i have to agree with rainwater. the TiVo HD is far better a unit than the s2 dt as it:

1. works as a dual tuner without any cablecards installed.
    2. will still work as a dual tuner if and when your cable company drops the analog channels.
    3. can record hd and play it back to a non-hd tv.
    4. will allow external esata drive expansion later this year.
    --
    Alan :D

8. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Well Eventually... you will have too. As the DT s2 is a complete Analog system.

OTA Analog will be gone on February 17th, 2009. So if you do OTA, the S2 DT will be of no use.

If you use Cable, then you will still be able to use your DT S2 for a while after that. At least until the cable companies drop ANALOG cable service.

Chicago and Dallas as well as a few other cities have plans on dropping ANALOG cable service sometime in 2010.

Summary....

If you use OTA your safe until February 17t, 2009. After that you will need cable, or Tivo HD/S3

If you use cable, you will be safe until at least 2010, how much longer after that is anybodies guess, but keep in mind EVENTUALLY Analog cable will go away.

TGC

9. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Yes: if you do not have a need for MRV now, if you need MRV than wait until MRV comes on the HD units. ( Could be/might be by the end of the year ???.)

10. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Incorrect. Cable STBs will continue to output composite and s-video for the foreseeable future. The analog tuner on the DT won't work, of course, but it'll still function just fine as a single tuner system.

Also, I really question people who recommend going with a tivoHD or S3 with SD TVs. It's true that it's more integrated hardware and stores better quality video in less space without reencoding, but dealing with cablecards and the lack of MRV/TTG on non copy-freely stations? Not worth it. No way.

11. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    And especially if you have digital cable - you will record the source signal and can record two digital shows at once with the THD box.

With the DT, you can only record one digital channel and that has to be re-encoded, with loss of quality.

Remember, unless you have lifetime service on the DT, you can move your existing service plan to the new box (assuming you want to discontinue service on the DT) without changing or extending the existing contract.

12. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I thought the DTs didn't have an OTA tuner, unlike the older S2s. Don't own one myself, so I maybe misremembering.

13. oldnacl

oldnacl New Member

Mar 23, 2007
    I just replaced my S2 DT with an HD and, other than the occasional pixelation and audio drop-outs, the analog basic cable picture is far better than the S2 at even one notch lower on the quality scale. HD is breathtaking. I'm so glad I dumped my SA8300HD recorder again. Dunno what I'll do with the S2.

14. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    TiVoPony has announced MRV/TTG for release sometime in November. Probably more like just before thanksgiving!

TGC

15. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Very true, you can continue to use it as a single tuner system with a STB (using cable or even an OTA STB).

MRV/TTG will be available on S3/HD units by sometime in November as TiVoPony has announced. As far as the "Copy" issue with the stations goes. That would all depend on what stations are important to you.

True, Cablecards in some parts of the country have been a royal pain for some. However, cablecards are NOT an issue if your just using OTA with a S3/HD unit.

TGC

16. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    The following only applies to those who use OTA... Does not apply to Cable.

They do have OTA tuners... but NOT ATSC digital OTA turners.

ATSC digital OTA tuners will be required on & after February 17th, 2009.

NTSC Analog OTA tuners will no longer receive any type of broadcast Television on or after February 17th, 2009 in the United States.

NTSC tuners as far as I know will continue to work in Mexico and Canada. Someone from Mexico &/or Canada can correct me on this if I am wrong.

TGC

17. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I thought the rule was you had to have both or neither. Tivo choose neither for the DTs, no?

(Or maybe it was if you have NTSC, you must also have ATSC. Obviously these rules didn't apply during the time of manufacture of the older S2s.)