Is it worth it.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nhjacques, Oct 15, 2007.

1. nhjacques

nhjacques New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    I have a series 2 Tivo with a lifetime subscription and have been offered by Tivo a new Tivo HD DVR for $299.00 and for another $199.00 they will transfer the lifetime subscription over to the new box. Plus they will keep the old box active for 12 months. It sounds like a good deal. Should I take it?

2. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Do you have a HDTV? Or maybe plan to get one soon?

If so, then I'd suggest that you go for it...

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It really depends if your source is OTA or cable (real cable, or FIOS), and will be either for some time. If it is, got for the TiVoHD and Lifetime transfer.

4. JPA2825

JPA2825 Member

May 15, 2000
    Ft. Thomas,...
    I believe I can get OTA HD. If so, will TiVo HD plug into a "HD ready" TV or do I need an HDTV w/ a Tuner built in?

P.S. Why is this a better/worse deal based on whether I have OTA HD or Cable Co. HD as my source?

5. txGeekGod

txGeekGod New Member

Jun 12, 2004
    Texas
    Not sure about this part, but I expect the TiVo HD has an HDMI output.

TiVo HD won't work with satellite systems.

Bill

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

was your S2 subscribed with lifetime before 10/1/03? If not, you can't transfer your lifetime subscription.

the small print on the offer:
    * Terms and restrictions apply. See full offer for details. Only Product Lifetime Subscriptions activated prior to October 1, 2003 and not previously transferred are eligible for this Offer.

7. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    What a confusing post. :confused:

Yes, the Tivo acts as your tuner, so an HDTV monitor is all that you need.

I'm assuming you were asking about terrestrial based OTA and not satellite, since that never came up. Picture quality is a toss up - some stations provide cable their full feed, then compress their OTA signal so that they can offer different subchannels. Other stations provide the full up signal OTA, but have their station compressed by the cable operator. Either way, the difference is usually slight, and OTA is free (as long as you're in a location that will get it).

8. tivobw

tivobw Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Redmond, WA
    I think it's worth it. But I'm a hardcore Tivo fan. :)

9. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    It is worth it only if your Series 2 meets the in service requirements.