Is it worth it to get Lifetime on a DRT800?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by itsyvonne, Jul 21, 2007.

1. itsyvonne

itsyvonne New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I just bought a new Humax DRT800 on ebay. I'm just wondering if a lifetime subscription is worth it given the fact that this is already "old technology" for Tivo (now that they are into the Series3 models) and I won't be likely to want to use it much beyond 2 years from now.

I was thinking of just going with the $8.95/month service w/a 2-year commitment (I have a Series2 TiVo w/a lifetime subscription already).

Alternatively, I was thinking of going with the $6.95/month service w/a 3-year commitment, but if I do that, I'd want to know that if the Humax bit the dust before then, I could transfer that to a new TiVo (and not have to keep paying for nothing until the end of the 3-year commitment. I couldn't find anything about the rules on this in the fine print of the Payment Plan.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

2. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Not really worth it if you already have one lifetimed unit.

3. itsyvonne

itsyvonne New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Why, because the cost per month is so much lower? Also, would you go w/the 2-year or 3-year commitment?

4. Chester_Lampwick

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    I subbed one unit then pay the $7 a month for my other. 300/7 = 43 months to break even. I may upgrade before that

5. Scott Atkinson

Scott Atkinson New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Watertown NY
    It's funny - I just had to make the same decision myself with a used Humax. Given that digital broadcasting will be the law of the land come February 2009, and it looks to me like all our S2 and S1 Tivos will need cable boxes past that point, I decided against Lifetime.

I have a lifetime subbed unit, and three other units at $6.95 a month. When I added the fourth, (the Humax) I was able to negotiate with Tivo. I told the customer service rep I wanted the lowest price ($6.95) and a one year contract, and he said yes, without much hesitation.

So I'd at least try to negotiate.

Scott A.

6. itsyvonne

itsyvonne New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Chester & Scott - thanks so much for your advice. Scott, I'm especially grateful to know that you can negotiate w/Tivo! I am going to try seeing if I can get 2 years at the $6.95 rate...thank you!!!

7. clem2270

clem2270 New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Washington...
    you mean that you don't already have a cable/sat box already?

Its my understanding that the upcoming Digital law only affects the OTA transmissions; anyone with cable or Sat TV will have to get new converter boxes from their service provider's.

8. itsyvonne

itsyvonne New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I don't have a cable box; just plain old cable going straight into the Tivo.

Something just occurred to me - what if my Series2 w/the lifetime subscription bites the dust? Will I then have to revert to paying the higher monthly rates on the DRT800?

9. Chester_Lampwick

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    No, there's no need to tell TiVo that that TiVo doesn't work anymore. It still cheaper to keep the box working or not.

10. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    I saw a pallet of Humax's at Wally world about one month ago. It was very tempting.

11. itsyvonne

itsyvonne New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Ahh...so that's where these eBay sellers got their stash!! :rolleyes:

:p Duh...thanks. ;)

12. Chester_Lampwick

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...

Any idea on pricing?

13. itsyvonne

itsyvonne New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Scott - did you do this recently? I just talked to a rep and she said "no way"... :mad:

I was going to wait and call tomorrow to see if I had better luck w/a different rep, but I ended up buying the 3-year commitment online and being done with it.

14. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Won't Tivo realize when the box doesn't call in for 30 days?

15. Chester_Lampwick

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...

I don't know. Does your gym membership become void when you stop going? I have no experience with this hypothetical situation.

16. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    AFAIK The LT unit has to call in every so often for the MSD to be valid.

17. itsyvonne

itsyvonne New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Well, I hope mine will keep soldiering on, then....is there still an option to transfer a lifetime subscription to a series 3 unit?

18. Scott Atkinson

Scott Atkinson New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Watertown NY
    I have three Tivos running on regular ole' analog cable, which requires no box.

I have one Tivo hooked up to digital cable, which does require a box.

In '09, all OTA signals will be digital, so anyone wanting to use existing equipment will need a converter.

Less clear is what the cable co.s will/are doing, but I believe both their own need to reclaim bandwidth and some regulatory requirements will push them to all digital at about the same time.

s.

19. magnum68

magnum68 New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pembroke...

Yes they will know if it doesn't call the tivo service in 30 days.

magnum68