is it worth it to buy a lifetime series2 dual tuner

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TuesdaysChild, Sep 28, 2007.

1. TuesdaysChild

TuesdaysChild New Member

May 7, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'm trying to decide between purchasing a lifetime series2 dual tuner and signing up for a 3 year (MSD) contract. I decided against the Tivo HD for now because it doesn't have MRV. With all the talk of the changes that will occuring with tv over the next couple of years I'm wondering if it would be worth it to purchase a lifetime unit. I know if I go with the 3 year contract I can transfer the service over to a HD model if the S2 stops working. I'm having a hard time deciding and was just wondering what others are thinking.

Thanks!!

2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Something to think about…
    MRV is supposedly going to be included in the next software release for the S3 and HD TiVo’s due for release before this coming November. The S2 dual TiVo has analog tuners and will become a single tuner that needs a cable box when your cable company drops the analog signal and goes to all digital.

3. gregpg

gregpg Linux NuB

Apr 19, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    Going off-topic a little, why would a cable company go all digital? It seems to me that retaining an analog lineup might help them hold on to households with older TVs and recording devices and no immediate plans to upgrade. Just a thought, but a lot of those folks might go with DTV or EchoStar if they need an external tuner box regardless.

4. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    So they can get paid for every TV that receives their service. Each TV will need a box once they go all digital.

5. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    The reason is the need for more space. Cable companies feel the pressure to add more content and services (more channels and HD content, VOIP, ON demand, broadband) to their limit amount of space. They can add several digital channels in the same amount of space for each analog channel they drop. So they get better picture quality and more channels in the same space.

6. paynej

paynej New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The FCC recently ruled that cable companies *must* keep their analog services available until at least 2012. I know you're thinking lifetime; but the fact is that in 5 years you may well have moved on from tivo anyway. Just look back on where you were 5 years ago from today.

I also expect that the date will continue to get pushed back. The vast majority of TVs in the US ares till analog and will continue to be so for many years to come.

Most analog sets (older CRTs) last more than a decade in normal use; and I bet you know at least one person who has set that is close to 20 years old that they still use.

Personally, I have 5 of the series 2 machines. I will not go with the HD units right now because I do not belive the HD Tivo market has "matured" enough to warrent my investment.

And the key to Tivo's continued growth is their cable-tv aliances (like the one they have for Comcast to use their software in comcast's DVRs). And since we know that cable invests the new technology in HD - then the logical conclusion is that we have yet to see what will become the "standard HD tivo" software.

7. worachj

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
  8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Five years ago I was using TiVo to record the shows I wanted to watch. Now today I'm using Tivo (after trying other DVR's) to record the shows I want to watch. ;)

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    IIRC, that is for broadcast channels only, and only those that demand it.