is it worth getting a used tivo with no subscription?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bosanci28, Aug 10, 2011.

1. bosanci28

bosanci28 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    i was thinking to get a tivo series 3 hd used from ebay,
    and i will not get a lifetime subscription or monthly subscription,
    so in this case is there any point in getting one?

thank you

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Unless youi plan on using it for parts, no. An unsubscribed TiVo 3 won't work as a DVR. Some people have reported that they make excellent doorstops but I think that they are probably too light. Better off getting a TiVo 2 for that.

3. bosanci28

bosanci28 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    thanks for replying friend!

now what can i do with a tivo dvr series 2?

b. sorry to ask,maybe i dont suppose to ,i see a lot off people talking about "tivo h**k" is this for just upgrading or receiving all channel without a subscription
    (sorry ,new to this ,just to understand it )

thanks!

4. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    A. Nothing! A Series 2 without a subscription is just as worthless, with 2 exceptions:

1. Tivo/dvd combo player/recorders that were(emphasis on were) manufactured by Toshiba included free lifetime Tivo Basic service. A very stripped down 3 day guide and manual vcr type recording capability. These are pretty much ancient history, but there are a few used ones to be found.

2. Tivo/dvd combo recorders that were manufactured by Pioneer. Same as above, and surely even much more scarce.

Please understand, with any Tivo, you can watch live tv(including pause, ff, rw within the 30 minute buffer) without a subscription, but except as noted above, you have no recording capabilities.

5. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    As an OTA tuner there is some value if you want dual ATSC tuners with the 30 minute buffer. I think a used TiVoHD is fine if you find one at a bargain price. No program information and no guide information is the downside. I had an ATSC tuner with program information but found I liked the 30 minute buffer more than that and I have been using a TiVoHD without subscription for a number of months now. In my opinion, TiVo is worth the subscription price and if I could afford to buy a third lifetime subscription, I would have 3 subscribed now.

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I was just saying that a Series 2 works better as a doorstop since it is heavier.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Some degree of hacking is discussable here.

At least two elements are strictly forbidden though, and those are:

1. Stealing TV from a service provider, or modifying a TiVo to use with or for stealing pay TV services.

2. Modfying a TiVo to enable software/hardware features enabled by the TiVo subscription (which for the most part is in fact a license to use the TiVo software).

Very dark grey is feeding it alternative guide data. For at least a US/Canadian TiVo, there should be no need for that in any legitimate circumstance, where you pay for both the TiVo service, and a pay TV service you are entitled to based on your location, and also defeating the DRM on the .tivo files.

8. catbird

catbird Member

Jun 18, 2010
    If you had a series 2 with no service is the problem with timer recording during playback? I ask because a friend picked one up and brought it over to my house to make sure it worked. He didn't realize that "Devo" service is tied to the box. But I hooked it up for him, forced a call to Tivo to correct the time and then set up a timer recording. It switched to the right channel, the red record light came on, and the program showed up in the NP list. The one thing I didn't do was try to play it back, and I've since unhooked it.
    This is a single tuner series 2.

9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Catbird,

It wouldn't have worked as it did unless there was an active subscription or it was lifetime. Check the "TiVo Service Account Status" under "System Information".

10. catbird

catbird Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Hmm. It said the account was in good standing. I took that to mean the former owner didn't owe Tivo any money. When I hit guide there was a message saying something about it not having service and not connecting for some period of time. It also said to go into your account and update the payment information.

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you forced a call, it should have changed the status to account closed, assuming the previous owner has quit making monthly payments.

I'd suggest trying to contact the original, or at least previous, owner to find out exactly what the deal is.

There's no chance this unit was purchased from someone who "didn't have a legal claim to ownership", is there?

12. catbird

catbird Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Thanks, I didn't check the account status after calling in. And now I remember I tried the manual recording before calling in. I'm sure you're right but maybe I'll hook it up again and see what it says.

He bought it at a thrift store, so no idea about the former owner.

13. bosanci28

bosanci28 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    dwit,

thanks for that info...

14. bosanci28

bosanci28 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    is the ''Series3 HD TiVo" with dual turner?
    because looking here at all tivo info they dont say anything about series 3 with dual turners!

thanks

edit:

" i guess they say something: "The Series3 DVR features support for high-definition broadcasts and has two tuners." hmmm.

15. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The last of the Series 2s, the TCD649080 and its big brother, the TCD649180 (same unit, bigger hard drive), were the first dual tuner units.

All 3 of the Series 3 platform, the original S3, the HD, and the HD XL, have dual tuners, and both versions of the Premiere have dual tuners.

16. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Without a subscription, not much.

Hacking the TiVo to allow third party applications like TiVoWebPlus to operate is perfectly legal, although it is not discussed in the main forum here very much. Such discussions are relegated to the Underground Forum on this website or the "other" TiVo website. A hack which allowed an unsubscribed TiVo to obtain TiVo service would constitute theft of service and is not only strictly forbidden for discussion, but also illegal. I do not personally know of any such hacks, and I certainly would not discuss them or employ them if I did. The same would be true of any hack designed to defeat CableCard encryption, although that would have to be a hardware hack on a CableCard, not the TiVo.

17. bosanci28

bosanci28 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    @unitron,

thank you friend.

18. bosanci28

bosanci28 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    @irhorer,
    i am just asking,but will pay montly 12.95 if i want the subscription !,better than 16,what i am paying now to my local cable service :):D,thanks

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    There are a some additional things you need to keep in mind:

1. Even with cable card(s) installed, a TiVo cannot access "On Demand" or Pay-Per-View.

2. Unless the TiVo is your only digital access (i.e. no cable box (DTAs don't count)), they may charge you a "Digital outlet" fee. OTOH, you should get a credit for "customer owned equipment".

3. Make sure the TiVo is a TiVo HD or HD XL rather than an original Series 3. While the original Series 3 is HD, it requires 2 CableCARDs, which would result in an additional charge.

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It requires two CableCards to activate both tuners. It will work with only 1 CableCard, but can then only record 1 CATV program at a time.