Is it time to ditch Tivo for an xFinity DVR?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by smbaker, Nov 28, 2019.

1. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    My new years resolution is to finally renegotiate my cable package, reducing cost and upgrading to gigabit internet.

Whenever I try to do this online, it selects a package that includes an xFinity DVR. I think the website is assuming that they're going to ship me all new equipment (DVR) and I'm going to return the equipment (cable cards) that I have now. My first instinct is "No, I don't want to do that", but I'm not sure how to convince the damn website that I want to keep the cable cards I have now and to not ship me some stupid DVR.

Does anyone here have recent experience with selecting a new plan, keeping your cable cards, and not having an xFinity DVR pushed upon you?

However, I'm also wondering if it's time to finally give up, and just go with Comcast equipment. Right now I'm using a lifetime Roamio and a lifetime Premiere, which are older equipment. I'm unable to use HBO Go apparently due to Comcast and Tivo not getting along. I think xFinity On Demand was dropped as a feature from the Tivo some time ago as well. My experience seems to be of dwindling capability. Sometimes I tire of being the pawn in this corporate game, and of having to explain what a cablecard is any time I talk to a CSR.

Does anyone here have thoughts on xFinity versus Tivo hardware/software? Have we reached the point yet where the cableco DVRs have feature parity with a Tivo? (I've never owned anything but a Tivo)

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You can get this to work now (i've done it on our Roamio Pro).

Adding HBO Go app to your Xfinity/Comcast with Tivo

Regarding switching to a Comcast DVR, as long as TiVo works with Comcast and we receive the channels that we want, I can't imagine switching.

Scott

3. MileHigh96

MileHigh96 Living life a Mile High

Jun 17, 2019
    Denver
    All the apps on the TiVo anymore are garbage. They're outdated and slow compared using them on another device, which for me is a Roku. The difference is night and day and I never use the apps on my Bolt anymore. We barely use the TiVo even as a DVR any longer either.

We haven't gotten an Xfinity DVR box yet, but we might end up going that way. But with having a Roku, you can see just how far behind TiVo is when it comes to supporting other apps. TiVo definitely seems to care less and less about its customers.

4. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was very close to at least trying out the Spectrum World Box(I know functionally it is inferior) simply because I wanted to do something in protest of the ads and I am getting tired of dealing with the tuning adapter issues we always have. The Spectrum box would also give us better integration with Spectrums original programming and on demand. We can do it now but have to use the Roku app which is convoluted to use, especially for a non-techy wife.

However, since I have been able to get rid of the ads in the guide and pre-rolls(until TiVo starts playing whack a mole), we will be sticking with it for now. But we will always be using a separate streaming box for streaming apps because they are faster, do 4K, handle the hi-def audio and have more apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Pequannock, NJ
    no

6. randyb359

randyb359 Active Member

Jan 3, 2009
    The trick play on the Comcast DVR is awful.

7. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Order and just return the X1 DVR to a local store and tell them to keep the Cable Card as primary.

Run them both side by side for a week and decide which you like better.

aristoBrat likes this.
  8. MileHigh96

MileHigh96 Living life a Mile High

Jun 17, 2019
    Denver
    Honestly, the biggest reason that I haven't completely dumped TiVo for the X1 is because in addition to my Bolt, we are using 3 Minis in the house and I really don't want to pay Comcast a few to have one of their boxes in every room with a TV since the Minis on my MoCa network work like a charm.

shwru980r likes this.
  9. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    OP was interested in the functionality of the Comcast box. As was I. Too bad this turned into a "get the box and then return it" thread. My concern would be the cost for their best DVR. It would be my only Xfinity box so it would be free...no?

10. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    OP quote
    "I'm not sure how to convince the damn website that I want to keep the cable cards I have now and to not ship me some stupid DVR.

Does anyone here have recent experience with selecting a new plan, keeping your cable cards, and not having an xFinity DVR pushed upon you?"

As to the X1 it works just fine, but no commercial skip, multi tuner live TV, no My Shows guide and no DVR if cable is out.

Very good for on demand

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yes, but not online - call customer service, using "disconnect" as your keyword for the vru - specifiy you'd like your cablecard listed as the primary equipment on the account.

jrtroo likes this.
  12. heyted

heyted Member

Mar 4, 2012
    South Florida
    If you decide to keep a cablecard, you may want to consider getting a Roku device to use for VOD. If you decide to get a Comcast DVR, you may want to consider getting a Roku device to use for VOD or as a DVR in another room.

Ted | My vlog

13. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    I have a fire tv somethingorother that I picked up last Amazon day and I managed to use that to watch HBO Go the other day. Seems miles ahead of the Tivo's apps. I expect the Amazon Prime experience will completely blow away Tivo performance too. Not sure if it does xFinity On Demand though.

I may give that a shot. To be honest, I hate talking to those people (and my reluctance to talk to them and negotiate a decent deal has probably made Comcast thousands of dollars over the years).

14. Willy92

Willy92 Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Same, same.

15. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i used to go in to the local office, but now that they've moved to the new "experience" store next to apple, they only do sales - zero customer service, even the store manager - anything else is directed to the phone number or online. o_O

16. Falkor

Falkor Member

Feb 6, 2004
    I’m seriously considering it. Both have Netflix, Amazon and Tubi. The differences are small but obvious: TiVo has a better interface, better fast forward/skip and Hulu. Xfinity has on demand programming for all subscribed channels.

Which is more important to you? Interface or On Demand?

p.s. it was mentioned that “they” are working on an Xfinity Stream or equivalent to replace the old Xfinity On Demand TiVo app. Don’t hold your breath.

p.p.s. Slightly unrelated, it appears that Epix is being added in two weeks as a bundle, not an add on. Like HBO Go, Comcast does not want to authorize the Epix on demand app on TiVo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I can't see a reason. Roamio is lifetime and allows you to have multiple TVs through minis without additional fees.
    For all the Apps I would always go through ATV (My choice) or Roku.

18. smbaker

May 24, 2003
    I love the Tivo interface and I rarely used On Demand. More and more often it was becoming the case that On Demand wanted to charge me $$ to watch some old season of a TV series that I had missed.

However, that's not necessarily the criteria I'm judging based on. It's more like Interface vs Get-Along-With-XFinity. In my experience, life as a cablecard user has always been more difficult than it should be.

Chuck_IV likes this.
  19. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Sure it has. I go through retention every couple of years when my current promo is up and always get the new customer promo again. Saves about $40-50/mo. every time.

There's no way I'm trading out my Roamio + Minis for whatever Comcast feeds to the masses. No way.