Is it the Tivo or the Cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tiassa, Jun 29, 2011.

1. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    My Living room Tivo HD is showing massive breakup (as in unwatchable) on just 3 or 4 channels. The other Tivo HD in the home office pulls those channels in just fine. Before I try to deal with RCN's (lack of) Support staff, I figured I'd post here and get some opinions. The THD in question was put in service in '08 and has the 500gig My DVR Expander, and my fear is that one or both of the drives is going south. Is there a quick check I can make to figure this out?

2. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Replace your splitter(s)

3. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Swap the TiVo locations and see if the problem is geographic or machine dependent.

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Swap the TiVos and see if the problem follows the box or stays with the same cable drop.

5. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Yeah, I was trying to figure out a way that didn't involve multiple reboots of Tivos, but if I move the Office Tivo into the living room, I don't have to reboot the living room, just swap out the cables.

This is being typed while I wait for the reboot and we'll see what happens next

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If it's a splitter (i.e., signal) problem it should show up in DVR Diagnostics in the Signal Strength, SNR and RS Errors. Compare them on the same "bad" channels on your two TiVo's.

7. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Well that was strange. I was watching one of the "bad" channels, and it was "watchable" (ie not breaking up too much), but then it froze and rebooted. Figuring it was a hardware problem I decided to move the office Tivo and see what happened next. When I moved the office Tivo into the living room it worked fine. But when I plugged everything back into the Living Room Tivo (I didn't power it down I just plugged in the cable and HDMI cables), it was just fine as well. So maybe the cable connection was loose or maybe the reboots fixed something.

Tivo works in mysterious ways, and doesn't work in even more mysterious ones.

8. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I have the same problem with RCN on FX and History. I think their signal on those two is very weak. Sometimes they come in fine and sometimes they break up every minute. Strange that it is happening only on one TiVo. maybe one somehow has a better tuner than the other.

9. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I have had this happen before (one or two channels wouldn't even record as TiVo claimed that there was no signal on (just) that channel). The first thing to do is to tighten the coax cable going into the TiVo (remove it and reattach it if necessary).

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Why all this guessing about signal quality? The numbers are right there in DVR Diagnostics!