is it the hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by william morgan, Jan 15, 2012.

1. william morgan

william morgan New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    with no warning the picture from the tivo recorded shows has become heavily "pixelated", not my projector as it plays dvds perfectly. it is a series 2, can the drive be replaced or do i have to get a new unit?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Assuming that the problem is the drive, it can be replaced.

Whether the shows recorded on it can be saved is a separate question and remains to be seen.

What is the model number of your TiVo?

(look on the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in. It'll start with TCD if it's a TiVo-brand Series 2 and not one of the Humax, Pioneer, or Toshiba units or a DirecTiVo)

What spare hard drives, if any, do you have lying around?

Are you using composite or S-Video to feed to the projector?

3. bshrock

bshrock Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Run Kickstart 54

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If the problem is caused by a power supply starting to go bad, and they can cause all sorts of strange symptoms, I wouldn't put absolute faith in the results of the KS 54 SMART tests without getting confirmation by hooking the drive to a computer and running the manufacturer's diagnostic software as well.

5. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Before you plan on replacing the TiVo's drive, have you tried rebooting, swapping video cables etc.?

IME it's usually best to eliminate the simple troubleshooting stuff before opening up the box.

FYI-- The word pixelated literally means "under the influence of pixies". I doubt that's your problem. :p If you're seeing a picture that's distorted by large, squarish areas of stuff that obviously doesn't belong in the picture, that does indicate a loss of signal in the digital video stream. These kinds of losses can occur anywhere along the signal path.

6. bshrock

bshrock Member

Jan 6, 2012
    That would be pixiated :)

Good advice on the signal level if the bad recordings were recorded around the same time there may of been a disruption of service somewhere when the programs were recorded.
    I assume the TiVo menu and some of the recordings play back OK.

7. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I've encountered pixelated used to mean "drunk" long before anything in the field of video was digital, heard it used that way in old movies ('30s and '40s).

But would you admit it was your fault for getting drunk, or would you blame pixies if you thought you could get away with it?

8. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    IIRC the whole pixie thing fell out of common usage in the 19th century. More recently it's come to mean either drunk or "not all there" mentally. I can't say I've heard anybody use that term in person for as long as I've been alive.

When video was still primarily in the analog domain, and only frame buffers, time base correctors, Chyron and video effects worked in the digital domain (with lots of A/D and D/A conversions along the line) one popular effect called pixelization became a popular effect in production switchers. Today you can't watch an episode of "Cops" without seeing a similar effect being used to obscure the faces of people who refused to sign a release, "plumber's butt" shots and other stuff that's not suitable for broadcast.

Macroblocking is another made-up word that's often used to describe undesirable artifacts. But since macroblocks are a normal part of MPEG compression, and tend to be much smaller than the big squares we see with signal degradation, that's a misnomer too. Back when Macrovision brand line scramblers came into use at network uplinks, ending a Sunday afternoon tradition of meeting in Master Control to watch all the NFL games, I'll bet somebody called that "Macro-blocking". :D