Is it simple to switch programming between Harmony remotes?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sushikitten, Jan 23, 2006.

1. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I searched through a few hundred thread titles about remotes :D (and read quite a few) and didn't see anything like this, so please forgive me if I somehow missed it.

We bought a Harmony from Best Buy to "test" it to see if we liked it (sorry, can't recall which # it is--I think 659), knowing that we would have 30 days to return it. We programmed it and are now in love with it...but have decided to upgrade to a newer model (676) because we have a $50 rebate on it (plus a $25 GC at amazon). So, what I'm wondering is...is it possible to quickly and easily switch our old 659 programming to the new 676 programming? My harmony login account knows we have a 659, but all the programming will be the same for the new one. Can I just plug in the new remote and upload all the information or will I have to program everything again?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I believe so. In fact I remember a while back people use to lie to the harmony website about which evrsion of remote they had because one of the models would allow you to write custom pages for it in XML or something. Worse case scenario is it wont work, so it can't hurt to try.

Dan

3. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Hmmm, I don't recall telling the website which remote I had (although I could have and just don't remember)...I assumed it was done during the setup?!?

Anyone else do this?

4. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    From Harmony's (Logitech's) help page --

The website will automatically convert your existing Configuration to the correct format for your new remote. To ensure that the conversion is complete, please follow the instructions below:

1. Install the latest Software onto your computer by following the instructions in your Quick Start User Guide.
    2. After installing the software, a web browser will open automatically and direct you to the Account Information page.
    3. Click on the link 'I already have an account!'. You will be directed to the user login page.
    4. Login to your account as normal.
    5. Click on the 'Connectivity' link from your home page and then follow the instructions to download and run a connectivity check.
    6. Update the remote as normal.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Like I said that was a while back. They may have changed how the registration process works since then. (I know the site itself has changed over the years)

Dan

6. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Thanks so much! And I have to say I'm an idiot--I totallydidn't even think to check their website! D'oh! I just immediately came here! I guess that says something about TCF though!

7. AWAHOO

AWAHOO New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Emporia, VA
    Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a question re: the Tivo remote. I recently went to HD programming with HD DVR. The Tivo peanut remote that came with the DVR was defective and D* sent me a replacement. The new remote, can operate the Tivo, the TV and two other components. I can get it to cut the other two components on and off, but the surround sound volume with not work (I can cut the amp. on and off). Also, only certain elements of the TV will work from this remote. Any suggestions as to a fix, or is this the limit of what it will do?

8. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA

To get the VOL commands:

1. av1 or av2
    2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
    3. enter 9-9-3
    4. press VOL UP

As for tv, you're stuck with whatevers mapped, have you tried all codes for your brand?

9. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Yep, this place is great. I've even posted some suggestions on tweaking Harmony remotes to make them a bit more responsive with a TiVo. Has to do with interkey delays and repeats. Makes it nearly as responsive as the peanut. Gotta love TCF ;)!

10. AWAHOO

AWAHOO New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Emporia, VA
    Edmond-Thanks, I got my amp. to respond using your method. I am trying to re-program the TV with a different code now.

11. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA

If you wish the AMP aud in all devices, do the following:

1. av1 or av2
    3. enter 9-9-3
    4. press SELECT

Now it is all devices including TV, if wish to restore tv vol in just Tv device:

1. Tv
    3. enter 9-9-3
    4. press VOL DOWN

12. sushikitten

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Update

We got the new remote and it wasn't as easy as we imagined. Even though the CD had the same software, it had to uninstall and reinstall everything from scratch, then update from the website after that. But regardless, this remote is much better than the initial one we had.