Is it safe to give out Service Number?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by fatlard, Oct 15, 2007.

1. fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    I am selling a Tivo Lifetime on eBay. A bidder is requesting a service number to verify Lifetime and TivoHd transfer capability.. Is it safe to give out the Servnice Number?

2. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    I wouldn't. If the bidder has your service number he can transfer the service to another unit without your permission. Even more of a problem if the box has one of the lifetime subscriptions eligible for transfer to a HD box.

Instead you can verify the status yourself at TiVo and give the bidder a guarantee if you wish.

3. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    People give out service numbers all the time. I wouldn't worry.

4. fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Thanks! I sent screen shot with half of the TSN blacked out.

5. brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    Thats what I would have suggested, Maybe even give him the final 5 numbers and a screen shot with the rest blanked out. I do agree with RoyK on how easy it is to transfer service from one TIVO to another.

6. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Block out the last few digits, not the first few -- the first few can be inferred from the particular TiVo model you have.

7. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Today this is not as easy at this poster implies. TiVo wants either the exact name and email address of the account holder for the lifetime unit, or they want to see that the requestor has in fact called in on the lifetime TiVo. If you are going to give out the number I would make sure the email address for the TiVo account is something considerably different than the email address you use for eBay. If the person wanting the number was really going to use it to check on the TiVo in question, blocking out some of the numbers does not really help him, since it is easy to have any TiVo temporarily say lifetime on system info screen and not really have lifetime on the unit. I would hope that is what the potential buyer is trying to avoid.

8. danieljanderson

danieljanderson Proud to preach TiVo

Nov 18, 2002
    How is this possible?
    I just bought a lifetime unit.
    I hope I didn't get screwed.

9. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Not that I would, but how can one do that? :confused:

10. GoHokies!