Is it remote or hard drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Lajonesin, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Lajonesin

Lajonesin New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Houston

Advertisements

My Tivo started acting very strange today. When I push any button on the remote, it doesn't function properly. For example, when I change channels, the cable box starts rapidly running through channels. Also, while in the page with my listed recordings, I'm not able to scroll up or down. It just goes rapidly from the top to the bottom and won't stop on a show. The fast forward/rewind functions do the same thing. It runs back and forth rapidly and doesn't stop when I press the play button. Do I need a new remote or a new Tivo?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Don't take this wrong, but did you put fresh batteries in the remote?

3. simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    After checking the batteries, look around the room for any other IR-emitting devices. A remote stuck under a couch pillow and randomly blasting various signals whenever it's sat on could be confusing the TiVo.

4. Lajonesin

Lajonesin New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Houston
    Yes, I put new batteries in the remote. There are no other remotes in the room. The yellow light on the TIVO box seems to get stuck and holds a pulse longer than it should causing the function to go haywire. Now my cable box turns itself off and on for no reason. If I hold the remote very close to the box it all works fine. This is not a new sysem and I've had it set up the way it is for years.

5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Advertisements

Sounds to me like the remote is sending the signal longer than it should.

Know anyone else with a TiVo whose remote you could borrow to test?

Did anything ever happen to your remote (such as a drink getting spilled onto it)?

Sometimes having an extra remote around can be helpful. I got one of the double-control ones on eBay for something like $14.

One other question-
    Have you recently switched to using fluorescent bulbs in the room? Sometimes the light from them can mess with remote pulses.

6. Jeffner76

Jeffner76 New Member

Sep 23, 2005
    Charlotte
    Changing the batteries fixed my remote.