Is it possible to sell a Series 3 with prepaid subscription?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Darvin, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Darvin

Darvin New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    My sister has a series 3 with about 9 months left on a sub. She just switched to Directv and is using their HDDVR. Is the subscription tied to her or to the DVR? Is it pretty easy to sell these units on Ebay?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I believe the subscription isn't transferable to another account unless its lifetime which is "glued" to the box.

3. ChrisMc73

ChrisMc73 New Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Oklahoma...
    So If I have a Tivo Series 3 and wanted to sell it, since I don't use it anymore, I can't sell it? No one else can use it ever again unless its me?

4. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    You can sell it but you can not transfer the sub unless it lifetime.

5. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Maybe you can't transfer the subscription but the TiVo rep suggested I transfer my unused HD to someone so that the new owner will be able to continue to subscribe at the $99/annual rate. He said that the rate follows the box and the HD is almost as good as the Premiere but the subscription rates are much higher. He also said that there is an expiration date on the rate so I need to transfer it quickly.

6. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    Just a bit of clarification: once the subscription is near its completion (prior to automatic renewal), an option would be to cancel the subscription, THEN sell the box without a subscription. That ensures a smooth transfer of ownership and stops billing to you entirely.

7. ChrisMc73

ChrisMc73 New Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Oklahoma...
    I think this is what I did but I can't remember? I know I canceled my subscription and I don't get billed anymore. I just don't know what state my box is in, should I boot it up and see, and wipe it if its still got my info on it?

Then I could go sell it on ebay? The folks selling the box with the lifetime subscription just have this extra "plan" to offer so that the new owner doesn't have to do a month to month plan right? Its just like a cherry on top of the sale vs. ones without?

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you mean that she signed up and incurred a commitment to pay each month for 12 months, whether she actually uses the TiVo or not, and that she did that 3 months ago, or that she was under the previous policy, and could pay for a year in advance at less than 12 times the monthly rate, and that she did *that* 3 months ago?

9. Darvin

Darvin New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    To tell the truth, I don't have all the details. She is under the impression that she has some type of year comittment to pay month to month. Is there such a plan? I have not used TiVo in years and am no longer familiar with the various subscription plans.

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If she started her subscription about 3 months ago, then she had to sign up for a one-year hitch, and is on the hook for 9 more months of payments.

11. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    If the subscription is prepaid (i.e., the current owner has already paid for 12 months up front), then you should be able to sell the Tivo with no problems. Tivo already has the money so it shouldn't matter who actually owns the DVR. Just cancel the subscription when it expires and provide the new owner with whatever info he or she needs to place the Tivo in their name.

12. Darvin

Darvin New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Just found out that it wasn't "pre-paid", rather she signed up for a one year sub. Is there any easy way to get out of it short of paying the remainder of the year?

13. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Not really. When you sign up for a 1-year commitment you're expected to pay for the full year. If you terminate the service early, you're liable for an early termination fee equal to or greater than the balance owed. You could possibly be on the hook to pay the full monthly Tivo fees for the remainder of the term instead of the discounted amount offered when you signed the commitment. Your best bet would be to bite the bullet and pay off the balance if the penalty only amounts to the amount owed at the discounted rate for the last 9 months and then hope you can recover the majority of that amount when you sell the Tivo. Otherwise, I'd sit on it until your commitment expires and then cancel the service.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is this a TCD648xxx, a TCD652xxx, or a TCD658xxx model Series 3, and how much did she pay for it? Did she buy it new or used? Why does she no longer want it?

15. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    OP said using DirecTV and its the S3.

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The HD (TCD652) and HD XL (TCD658) are also Series 3 platform machines, and persons (like the OP and sister) not all that well acquainted with TiVos may not always accurately describe things.

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Lots of info in this thread already. Just wanted to point out tha if your sister gets good OTA reception she could keep the TiVo for the remaining commitment period and use it to record OTA.

Good Luck,