1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to rollback a Bolt VOX to the old interface?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by scamp, Jan 28, 2018.

1. scamp

scamp New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    I've followed the instructions about 20 times and nothing happens. I also grabbed an old Mini remote in RF mode to make sure that it wasn't the bluetooth remote that was the problem. Just can't seem to get it to work. I want to be sure that I can get back to the old interface before activating it as I will bring it back to Best Buy and buy a used Roamio if I can't get it back. I know that it won't use the voice features if I roll back but I'm fine with that as my wife is not accepting of the new interface.

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I thought I read that you had to switch the remote to IR mode?

Scott

3. scamp

scamp New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Will try again when I get home but the remote flashes red which I thought was indicative of it being set to infrared mode. Held Tivo+C to put it into infrared mode.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I copied them here. Usually it's hitting the wrong Rewind. :)

Go into Menu- Help- Reset to Defaults- Repeat Guided Setup- Select
    2.) Press Thumbs Down 2 times (NOT 3!), now press Rewind 2 times, Now press Select (not Enter)
    3.) Roamio will immediately go to that right arrow screen, then screen blank, then you'll get a message letting you know that the rollback process has begun

5. scamp

scamp New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    So it will not give you the downgrade screen unless the box is activated. I took a chance with activating it with the thought that I would either deal with the complaints or fall back on the 30 day guarantee and once it was activated I got the screen by following the codes. Now I'm getting a downgrade error may be a problem with the network message so making progress anyway. I have a vague memory of it taking time to fully activate so will try again in the morning and see if it will complete the downgrade.

6. scamp

scamp New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    It did allow the process to start after being activated for an hour or so. I'm downgrading now and assuming it is going to succeed. If it doesn't I'll post an update but it is possible once activated it appears.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm surprised that TiVo is now shipping with Hydra installed. That's new. I'm just speculating since I can't imagine it doing the usual upgrade during install without service.

8. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

it's a bolt vox not a regular bolt

9. LVKeith

LVKeith New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Wow. I'm glad I saw this thread. I will be getting a new Bolt Vox soon and will be trying out the new Hydra interface but I'm pretty sure I won't like it especially if it is anything like the new DirecTV interface (that's one of the reasons I'm leaving DTV). So I definitely need to know if rollback on the Vox is possible. I am familiar with the old interface as I had a Premier 3 years ago and had no problems with it at all. Would reactivate the Premiere but it only has 2 tuners and I will definitely need more now that I'm used to having 5 tuners.

JoeKustra likes this.
  10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Well, the current interface is not quite what you had on a Premiere three years ago, but it's close. Funny, but every time I see the commercial for DTV, there is that guide in the background that looks just like the Hydra guide.

11. Phil T

Phil T Active Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Littleton,...
    It is much faster then the new DirecTV GUI and much easier to read. Also more channels show in the guide. Give it a chance before switching back.

12. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

since you don't want voice get a regular bolt

13. scamp

scamp New Member

Jun 27, 2002
    At the time I purchased the VOX it was cheaper than the regular Bolt for a 500GB unit on amazon and best buy so it didn't make much sense to get a regular bolt. I like that I have the option for voice in the future as I do assume it is just a matter of time before Tivo forces the update on users. For me with needing to clear off an existing Roamio and transfer everything it was just easier to do with the old interface. Eventually I probably will switch as the only thing I hated was the loss of the left arrow key but I assume the muscle memory would fix itself in relative short order and my wife will probably want voice control.

14. aliweb1

aliweb1 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    FL
    Too late now. Amazon shipped me the VOX at a very good price with the new software but it was not ready for Prime Time with the online TiVo website. Whaaat?

15. rogmatic

rogmatic Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I just got the Bolt Vox and consider the new interface to be a significant downgrade. Is there any way to switch back?

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  17. mebstick1

mebstick1 New Member

Saturday
    I just rolled back my new Bolt to the old interface. Will I still get 4K? Thanks.

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    With the apps that support it, yes.

Scott